Thursday 18 September 2008

Flowers for Shabbat

There is a nice tradition in many Jewish families to bring the lady of the house flowers before Shabbat, the weekly Sabbath or day of rest. It is customary to eat three festive meals on Shabbat. The table is usually beautifully set with a plaited challah, which is symbolic of the double portion of manna God gave the Jewish people on Fridays during their time in the desert after the exodus from Egypt, a crisp white tablecloth and an arrangement of flowers.
Above are my 'Flowers for Shabbat'. A new design in cut paper which could be used for a birthday, anniversary or just to tell someone that you care for them.
Shabbat Shalom from 'Handmade in Israel'.

4 comments:

Laura Bolter said...

Hi Lisa, How nice of you to de-lurk! That is something I don't do often enough. I love your beautiful work–it has an elegant simplicity and a beautiful color palette. I have enjoyed my Etsy experience very much. Looks like you may just be getting started. I think you'll do very well. Let me know when it's launched.

julie said...

Wow, you have been so busy - a little time alone... shabbat shalom xx

LizzieJane said...

These are so lovely and sweet!

Kellie said...

Hi Lisa! Everything is looking so very beautiful! I am looking forward to seeing your shop too.
Shabbat Shalon and well over the fast!

Shareaholic