Tuesday 25 November 2008

Back to front

A friend recently told me of a new Judaica shop in town and was kind enough to mention my name to the owner. I dropped in there last week to show him my cards. He liked them and is going to stock them in his shop. Consequently I have been busy these last few days preparing a box full of cards that are back to front! Why? Because Hebrew, and the other Semitic languages, are written and read from right to left. Books in Hebrew open in the opposite direction from books in English, and this applies to greetings cards too.
Above you can see some of the designs I will soon be delivering to the shop. From left to right, a Mazal Tov, or congratulations card, a Batmitzvah card, and a Barmitzvah card in Hebrew, and in the box, a more traditional design for Barmitzvah card with a Magen David, or Star of David, and stripes to represent the Tallit, the Jewish prayer shawl, which a boy is obligated to wear in the synagogue from the day of his Barmitzvah and onwards.

6 comments:

Doda said...

I've done a couple of barmitzvah cards before, but I never remebered to do them back to front. I must remember that for next time.

Well done on getting a stockist.

dottycookie said...

Congratulations! How lovely to find an outlet for your beautiful cards.

Anonymous said...

Very Cute. I'd love to post about you on my blog www.starofdavidpendant@ruqqa.com
The site's still in its infant stages and I'm trying to learn as I go along. Because, well, I know not very much about my heritage.

I love what you are doing. Very clean and nice looking blog and pictures... Sara

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Well done on getting a new distributor!! Sounds like you will be kept pretty busy. I never realised that Hebrew was read from right to left.

Jenny said...

Fantastic! You really are spreading your wings aren't you?!

julie said...

oh thats great lisa!! congrats also on the opening of your etsy shop! x

Shareaholic