Tuesday 16 December 2008

A card, kippot and a corsage

A friend asked me to make a custom-made card for her Mum who was arriving for a visit to Israel on her birthday. I was asked to show Mum, who is a doctor, with her medical bag, surrounded by seven little faces, her grandchildren in Israel. The Israeli flag was also requested. For once I knew all the kids well, so was able to get all their hair colours and styles as near as I could imagine. The two older boys in the families wear kippot, the small skullcap that is worn by observant Jews around the world. The dark-haired boy on the left of the card wears a regular round kippa, which require clips to hold it in place. The boy on the right is wearing a colourful Bukharan kippa, traditionally worn by Bukharian Jews, whose name comes from the ancient emirate of Bokhara. These kippot are nowadays worn by many of the boys in the nurseries because they are larger and therefore easier to keep on their heads!
How does the expression go? You wait for a bus then two come along at once. Well, in my case it was winning two blog giveaways! I showed you Ozvald a few days ago. Yesterday I returned home to find this beautiful corsage from the very clever Alice at Raspberry in my letterbox! I fought my urge to tear it open and photographed it first to show you all how beautifully it was packaged. Alice, the merino and silk corsage is stunning and I look forward to the opportunity to wear it very soon. Thank you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so fun reading your blogs - it's like playing "Guess Who?" from your descriptions of the cards. I can work out just about all of them!
(This one was the easiest though :)
The cards all look fantastic as usual and congrats on your prize winnings. Go Lisa!

LizzieJane said...

My goodness you are going through a lucky streak, good for you, your new corsage is beautiful.
What a wonderful card, if it were me I would frame it for a wonderful keepsake.
x

julie said...

what a gorgeous corsage!!
i have missed a lot over here :)
how on earth do you get the curls? fantastic.

Shareaholic