Monday 12 January 2009

January 12th

January 12th. An important date in our family diary. My Mum's birthday. If she were still with us. A date I will never, ever forget. Why am I writing about my Mum's birthday here, in a place that is normally reserved for posts about my handmade cards? Well, not only was my Mum one of the most important people in my life, and dearly loved by us all, but she was also my greatest supporter when it came to my little card business and probably the best unpaid card agent in the world!
When I started making my cards and pictures several years ago my Mum immediately picked up on it and decided that she too should be sending 'Handmade in Israel' cards. She ordered cards from me and began to send them to her friends for their birthdays, anniversaries and many other happy occasions. Pretty soon I was receiving phone calls and e-mails asking me to make cards for other people, often with special designs on them. After that a box of cards was delivered to the hairdressers to be sold there, and my Dad was asked to make a custom-made wooden box so that Mum could take her supply of cards wherever she went, to encourage anyone she met to buy her daughters handmade cards.
Mum was a far better salesperson than I will ever be, and she was always encouraging me to come up with more and more designs so that she could offer a larger range to her friends and the shops that she had begun to sell to. Often they would be encouraged to buy three different baby cards, and if they didn't yet know if the baby was a boy or a girl, then they could buy a neutral coloured card instead! This went on for months, years... and then suddenly Mum was not with us anymore and the best Mum, Granny and card salesperson in the world was gone.
Mum, we love you and think of you every moment of the day. I am sure you are probably busy selling something up there in heaven, and making someone else's business all the more successful.

8 comments:

julie said...

oh lisa, sending big hugs to you, xxx

Laurie said...

Lisa, I was remembering my mother 3 days ago, on her birthday, January 9. She would have been just 74 years old but she passed away 4 years ago -- far too young. Blessings to you as you continue to feel the love that never ends.

Unknown said...

It pleases me so much that you commented on my blog. Just when I think only five people are reading, someone will pop up that I just have to "meet". What a talented designer you are! Your cards perfectly capture special moments in an original way.
I am delighted to know of your work. I loved this post about your Mum. Why is it that mother's can do what we cannot - confidence, that's what it comes down to! Elizabeth

LizzieJane said...

It is tough sometimes being without our mums, isn't it. Your mum sounds like she was a wonderful lady, it is so nice that we have beautiful memories to keep forever. Sending you a great big hug.
x

Jenny said...

You were so very fortunate to have such a wonderfully supportive mother. Nothing could take away wonderful memories like that. Jen

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Your Mum sounds like she was a real treasure.

green23 said...

Lisa, your post brought tears to my eyes. I don't think I ever met your mum but she sounds wonderful and I am sure she is looking down and feeling very proud of you.

Unknown said...

Lisa, what a beautiful post. Thinking of you

Shareaholic