Wednesday 30 December 2009

Mosaic Making

I mentioned in a recent post that I had some exciting projects on the go. This is one of them. For several weeks now I have been going to my boys' school for an occasional session of mosaic making. A group of mums, under the direction of a very sweet and skilled artist and fellow parent, are making a large mosaic of the school's badge. I have never done any mosaic work before but am always interested to try something new and creative and I am really enjoying this project. It is quite different from working with paper, and whilst I am happy sitting working at my desk at home, with the mosaic work I find that I need to stand so that I can see exactly what I am working on and to get an overall feel of the image. The girl's face, in orange, is the part of the school badge that I have created. We all took different areas of the canvas the first time that we met and have stuck with them ever since. It will be interesting to see how our various techniques (for want of a better word - we are all beginners at this) look together when the badge is finally completed. In the meantime we have quite a lot of the white background area still to fill, so the end is not quite yet in sight!
Though we have dreadful weather today and I have been thoroughly soaked whilst out and about this morning, the last time that I drove home from school after spending time working on the mosaic, I parked the car and looked up to see this fabulous orange tree in my garden looking amazing against the bright blue winter sky. I happened to have my camera with me because I had taken the above photos of the mosaic work, so felt compelled to snap away and capture the moment. Sadly the tree doesn't look so lovely today and I dare say that a few of those tasty oranges may well be on the floor by now.
Tomorrow night sees the end of 2009. Wishing you all a wonderful, happy and colourful New Year's Eve. See you next year!

2 comments:

Erica said...

how fun! I have always wanted to learn mosaic also!

LizzieJane said...

My goodness that looks like fun and something that I have never done. Hmmm... something to add to my to do list! Like I need anymore on that list.
xxx

Shareaholic