Thursday 9 December 2010

Chanukah Latkes

Today is the last day of Chanukah. We lit the eighth candle on our Chanukiah last night and now the kid's bags are being packed for school tomorrow. It's always a little sad to have the end of a holiday in sight but, no matter, we have once again had an amazing week travelling a little around Israel, opening presents after candle lighting each evening, eating delicious doughnuts and latkes and generally having lots of fun. Once the kids are back at school I intend to show you photos from our various trips. In the meantime, here are the courgette (or zucchini) latkes I made and the recipe too.
Bon appetit, or as we say in Hebrew, b'tayavon!

Ingredients
3 medium zucchini, shredded
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2 eggs, beaten
1 small onion, grated
1/4 cup matzo meal or dry bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Oil for frying
Sour cream, optional

Directions
In a large bowl, toss zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze zucchini dry. Stir in the eggs, onion, matzo meal, pepper and remaining salt.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 16 latkes.
Of course, whilst I have been running around enjoying myself, others have been hard at work creating some gorgeous Etsy Treasuries. I am very pleased to see my cards and pictures popping up all over the place and my Jewish Boy's Treasure Box is no exception. Here it is, above, top row, second from the left, amongst a great collection of Chanukah goodies. I am sure that there was some very successful 'Chanukah Shopping' done on Etsy this year.

5 comments:

Meeling said...

Yum!
Those latkes look so good. I've never had the zucchini ones...gonna have to try that!!

Lovely World said...

Happy belated Hanukkah to you too! I love this recipe - always nice to have an alternative to potatoes. We enjoyed some beet latkes at our party. My friend made them with cumin and a little cayenne. So tasty! These etsy treasuries are fun - I found myself in at least 8 of them over the last week or so. I even ended up with one of my pine cones on the front page for a brief while one day. It made me happy that folks liked the look of what I make. I am not sure how to market my shop, and I suppose all this exposure can only help! Maribeth

silverpebble said...

Oh those look truly delicious!

GoofingOff said...

Love the blog! I am going to try the zucchini latkes. they sound wonderful and a great way to use some of the zucchini surplus we get from our garden in the spring.
Belated Happy Hanukah!

Laurie said...

That "Keep calm and carry on" must be your English heritage coming through. :) I love the nature photos -- especially all the birds!

Shareaholic