Wednesday 16 February 2011

The Kids, a Kindle and a Kiddush Cup!

So Valentine's Day has been and gone. I hope that it was a day filled with flowers, chocolates and beautiful cards for all of you! Of course there are plenty more days in the year for card sending too. A couple of special birthdays have now passed for two people and I can now show you the customised cards that their loved ones requested.
'Devora', above, is a nurse, hence the little nurses cap and syringe. She likes rabbits, music and films and, because the card was from her four nieces and nephews, I was asked to illustrate them too. There was plenty to work with and I did wonder how I would fit it all in, but the card came together nicely and my customer seemed pleased.
This lucky guy was going to receive a Kindle for his birthday and is obviously a keen reader. After a chat with his wife, I suggested showing him with the new Kindle in one hand and a pile of books in the other. After cutting out all those fiddly little books for my son's recent birthday card and lamenting over the time it had taken me, I had vowed not to do it again! It didn't take me long to go back on my words, did it? It was worth it though. I don't know 'Alex' personally but had a look at a few photos of him before I tackled the card. With this particular card I really feel that I caught something of a likeness. Perhaps it was the glasses perched on the end of his nose! I hope you are not offended Alex...
These two cards, above, were being sent to the same 'Grandma' within a short time of each other and the theme that I had been given to work with was the same! Difficult. It was suggested that the design somehow depict her cooking and the family's Friday night Shabbat dinners around the table. On both cards I illustrated the Shabbat candlesticks, traditionally lit by the woman of the household just before sundown to welcome the Shabbat. I also added a plaited Challah and a steaming hot pie to the birthday card, whilst the anniversary card for Grandma and Grandpa displayed a Kiddush cup and a couple of champagne glasses to toast their special day.
If any of you would like to have a go at making your own Challah, this looks like a great recipe.

3 comments:

Sudha said...

Wow, lovely. Ur cards luk so cheerful.

Meeling said...

So nice and happy looking...I'm sure all the recipients will be delighted!

Sem Nome said...

Lisa, so many wonderful cards!! I love all of them!! We can see they are made with love and devotion!!
Congratulations!!
Have a lovely week!
Bela

Shareaholic