Monday 28 February 2011

The young and the not-so-young

This young man is celebrating his birthday today! When his Mum put in an order for a special card she told me that he loves to draw and craft and that everyone in his family calls him 'Mr Maker'! He also enjoys reading, writing and making little books - thus the ABC letters - and, like his brother, likes playing football. His mum seemed to be very pleased with the card when it arrived at it's destination, India, and I do hope that the birthday boy was happy to see an illustration of himself painting and cutting, when he opened the important envelope this morning!
A friend who has been sending my customised cards to her nephews and nieces in the UK for several years now recently told me that she had asked one of her sisters whether her 14 year old niece was getting a bit old for a card. The answer she received was that my cards "are the highlight of the card opening ceremony" as all the family try to decide what will be on the card that year!.
Of course I was delighted to hear that and have never considered any age to be too old for a customised card. As I have shown you here, I have made cards for newborn babies, a couple of cards for folk celebrating their 100th birthday's, and anything and everything in between! This post is a great example of the age ranges I create cards for. The card above was for a sweet five year old boy and the card below was made for "an old geezer"!!!
Yes, you read that correctly and I have put those few words in speech marks to show you all that they were not my words but the words of the daughter-in-law who requested the card! She asked me for a card for her father-in-law and wanted to know if an old geezer with a stick and a mobile was possible?!! Of course it was possible, and it was a lot of fun to create too!
I am not saying that my customer's father-in-law is either an old geezer or that he even looks like the man on the card (though I did work from a photo, wink wink!), yet I hope he found humour in the card design and, whatever the private joke is about the walking stick and mobile phone, that he appreciated the love and care that went into ordering it.
* Definition of old geezer at YourDictionary.com: Slang. An old person, especially an old man.

3 comments:

Meeling said...

Great cards Lisa!

I love the "old geezer" one...too funny!

Your cards are always so happy looking...I can't imagine being too old to receive one. :-)

LizzieJane said...

Thanks for the giggle Lisa! I love both of those wonderful cards. I think that you have captured exactly what they wanted.
x

Sem Nome said...

Wonderful, Lisa!!
I love them both!!
Love!
Bela

Shareaholic