Friday 17 June 2011

It really looks like him!

Yonatan, above, is Israeli born but currently lives in India. His Mum asked me to make a card that essentially shows that he is a great football player but also that that he has lots of school friends at his International school from all around the world. I put Yonatan in the centre of the card with friends from Japan, Korea, India and Europe in the background. Yonatan always wears a blue cap and Mum asked me to show him wearing that too. The choice of a red shirt was mine but when the card arrived at its destination I was told that, other than his white uniform t-shirt, he always wears red shirts. It seems that I was spot on and, on top of that, his Mum declared that "it really looks like him" too!
I have made cards for the young man above for a number of years. In the past I have illustrated him playing tennis and listening to music, but this year first his Grandma asked me to make a Manchester United card, then his Mum called and asked for the same thing! When I told her that Grandma had already beaten her to it, the next request was for a picture of her son as the pool boy, his current summer job. Once again his Mum declared that my simple portrait really looks like the birthday boy, whom I showed standing by the side of the pool, wearing a cheeky t-shirt, net in hand, ready to clean up!
Lastly, this 18th birthday card was made for a young woman who is going to study at a Seminary (a type of school that offers education in Jewish studies) in Jerusalem. She also hopes to learn to drive soon. I already know that her Mum likes birthday cakes on the cards that she orders so, along with the pink iced cake, I added a little Jerusalem scene, with a sign pointing out our capital city. The blue and white learner driver sign used here in Israel, top right,  has the Hebrew letter ל or Lammed on it, which stands for Lomed, or Learner.

6 comments:

Sudha said...

Pretty creations dear.

Meeling said...

Very nice Lisa...they look great!

ejorpin said...

The look fabulous! And how lovely that through your craft you've had a connection to this young boy and his family over the years - I'd love to see all the birthday cards lined up!

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Lisa. I particularly like the 18th birthday card - your designs are always so cheerful and colourful.

Naomi said...

Great interview Lisa! And great post. I hope we can meet in person on my next trip to Israel in November :)

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

Your paper-cut work is really fun!

Shareaholic