Thursday 9 June 2011

Shabbat Shalom - A Peaceful Sabbath

It's been a busy few days. The kids have been home from school and we have been celebrating the holiday of Shavuot, or the Festival of Weeks, which commemorates the anniversary of the day God gave the Torah to Moses and the Israelites at Mount Sinai. It is also the festival when we eat dairy - the holiday is also connected to the season of the grain harvest in Israel - so I made my usual time-consuming but tasty cheesecake, which disappeared much too quickly but was enjoyed by all.
In between the cheesecake eating, a visit to the synagogue and entertaining, my 8 year old son and I found some time for a little crafting. For some time now he has been asking to make something to sell in my shop. When he created some place setting cards for our Shabbat table recently, I knew that we had found the perfect card design. Over this school holiday we sat together and each made a card using his illustration.
My son's design shows two candlesticks, a beautiful plaited Challah bread, a Kiddush cup and bottle of wine. In big, bold letters he has spelt out the words 'Shabbat Shalom', A Peaceful Sabbath. I enlarged his original sketch on the computer and showed him how to trace his drawing onto coloured paper. We then had great fun together cutting and sticking to our hearts content!
My son's card and mine now share a listing in my Etsy Shop. If you click here you will  notice that this item is very special and not quite my usual style. The card set has been listed for less than 24 hours but my boy has already asked me a thousand times if anyone has bought it yet! Therefore, dear readers, if any of you would like to make a young boy very, very happy, please consider purchasing this very reasonably priced set of cards. All proceeds will go to the young man in question!
I am sure that there are many people the world over who would love to receive these special cards before any Shabbat. They have been handmade in Israel with so much love and the sale really would make my son's day!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update
The card set has been sold - thank you.

2 comments:

Meeling said...

They look great! So nice that you and your son can find the time to craft together. :-)

Anonymous said...

Bless him! It's great to craft with your kids isn't it? I helped my daughter make a cake yesterday to take into the place where she has been doing her work experience placement this week. She's quite a bit older than your son but it's still a nice thing to do. I hope it tastes o.k.!!
I would buy your son's cards - tell him they are lovely - but I don't have anybody I could send them to! x

Shareaholic