Tuesday 26 July 2011

The Sound of Silence

My best friend back in the UK recently celebrated her 40th birthday. She and I were at art school together, a number of years ago now. We have always shared a smile over a fabric design I once created there called 'Little Bird' (original title, huh?), long before it was fashionable to put a bird on every single thing you created. My friend was very keen on one particular bird from the design and so, when crafting a birthday card for her special day, a little bird had to be included. I hope she liked it.
A customer recently asked me for a birthday card for a man who is into vintage cars. I have made cards for this particular gentleman several times before, all along the same theme. This is the card I made for him last year. This years card was more simplified than the previous one, yet I liked the shape and overall design. Happy Birthday Harold.
The card above was a request for a tennis and football playing nephew who is also a keen keyboard player. The card was one of my 10.5cm x 15cm ones, rather than the more usual larger, customised card, but I was quite pleased with the way the simple shapes filled the area. Congratulations on your 12th birthday, Jack!
Last year I was lucky enough to see Sir Elton John in concert right here in Israel. Last Thursday it was Paul Simon's turn to visit and the hubby and I grabbed tickets as our anniversary treat to each other this year. What a treat it was! Paul might be a little thinner on top, and a little rounder, but his voice has aged well and boy, can he still play. The concert was a perfect combination of new and old songs and, before he ended over two hours of nonstop singing with ‘The Boxer”, he didn’t forget to add a few words:
"I’m not much of a praying man, but tonight I’d like to say a prayer. A prayer for peace. Shalom Aleichem, Malachei Hashalom. Peace for Israel and for its neighbors. Salam Aleykum”.
You all ready for “The Sound of Silence”? This song was the one that sent me home with a smile on my face.

1 comments:

Meeling said...

Great "happy" cards as usual!!

How fun getting out to a concert with your hubby! :-)

Shareaholic