Sunday 11 September 2011

Lilac and Gold

The young lady illustrated on this card celebrated her Bat Mitzvah last month. She had recently completed a sponsored swim for charity and her Aunt told me that she also talks on the phone a lot! Though my son pointed out to me that my card was 'wrong' - that the girl couldn't be on the phone in the swimming pool - it made my customer laugh and I am told that the Bat Mitzvah girl loved it too.
I was also asked to make cards for the rest of the family, all with a little lilac or purple in the design, the Bat Mitzvah girl's favourite colour. The name 'Yona' means 'Dove' in Hebrew so one card had to have a dove on it. The others display a Star of David, one of the symbols most commonly associated with the Jewish people, and the number 12, the age that a Jewish girl becomes Bat Mitzvah.
Bat Mitzvah aside, I have also made a number of Golden Wedding cards lately. 50 years of marriage is really something special and a wonderful reason to celebrate. The origin of the 25th wedding anniversary symbol, which is silver, can be traced back to medieval Germany. When a couple had been married for 25 years they were honored by a silver wreath being placed on the head of the wife. If a couple made it to 50 years of marriage, a gold wreath was used - thus the golden anniversary was born!

3 comments:

Meeling said...

As always Lisa, your cards are so cheerful, they always put a smile on my face!

Bron said...

What fabulous work you have done with the cards....I love the details you have done.
I wouldn't have picked up the pool and phone thingy ..very funny.
Thanks for stopping by my space too.

Unknown said...

Lisa, it is so nive to hear from you!! Your work is lovely again!! Congratulations!!
I hope to see you soon!
Love, Bela
Chá de Baunilha

Shareaholic