Monday 12 March 2012

Everything's Coming Up... Purple

I seem to have been working with a lot of purple recently. I guess I must like the colour a lot! The card above was created for a granddaughter's sixteenth birthday. Her grandma told me that she is 'into' everything to do with fashion and make-up and was delighted when I showed up with the card and had included a pair of shiny black high heeled shoes. Apparently that is exactly what grandma had bought the birthday girl as a gift. I wish her luck walking in them!
A good friend of mine recently turned 40 and a group of us girls went out to celebrate. As is often the case, I was asked to bring a special card along from us all (above and below). Such is the life of a card maker! I was very happy to make it of course and my friends all loved the little bird sitting on top of the shiny number 40. Actually, one particular friend liked it so much that she requested two more of the exact same card for some other special birthdays! The Hebrew greeting simply says 'Happy Birthday Ayelet'.
Many of the girls in my eldest son's class have recently been celebrating their Bat Mitzvahs. My own son has a year to go still since Jewish boys become Bar Mitzvah at age 13 when they supposedly become responsible for their actions! The age for girls is 12. The words Bat Mitzvah mean "daughter of mitzvah," that is, a woman who becomes obligated in the performance of mitzvot (commandment of the Jewish law). The age for obligation was based on physical maturity, i.e. puberty. We all know that girls mature before boys, so 12 for girls and 13 for boys became the age at which adult obligations would begin.
Anyway, back to the Bat Mitzvah parties! My son has been bringing home numerous invitations to discos and dinners and I of course enjoy looking at them much more than him! One particular invitation stood out, below, and knowing that the young lady's Mum loves all things crafty, I decided to copy the beautiful purple and pink printed flowers and make my own paper version of the design. The eldest son couldn't have cared less and simply wrote a nice greeting inside but I am sure that the young lady - and her Mum - liked the card and recognized its origins.

7 comments:

Linda B said...

Lisa, great work as usual. Keep it up.

Ann Martin said...

Wonderfully creative cards and that last one is super the way you adapted the invitation's design! Am sure the mom was pleased.

Robin said...

Gorgeous, especially that last one - wow!

Francoise said...

Lovely cards. I like how you have used the inspiration from the invite to create the last beautiful card on your post. I can spend hours in a card shop and have lots of boxes of cards that I keep for inspiration!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautiful cards. I love the flowers you created! That is a lot for work for create a group of invitations.

Handmade in Israel said...

Miss Val, I didn't make all the invitations! I just made one card to match the invitation my son had received.

Julie S said...

Wonderful cards, Lisa!

Shareaholic