Friday 1 June 2012

Danish and Pastries

The majority of the cards that I create have an English or Hebrew greeting on them. A recent request saw me adding wedding congratulations in Danish to the front of one particular card. I think that was a first for me!
A Danish customer, currently living and working in Israel, contacted me and asked me to create a card for some friends of hers who were getting married. They were going to have a traditional Jewish wedding in May. The couple live in Israel but the bride is Danish-born, whilst her new husband is originally from England. All quite normal here in Israel actually! The couple met in Israel and both like football, my customer told me. The groom is a big Tottenham fan, whilst the bride is always wearing her sunglasses. I knew that this was going to be a fun card to create!
I decided to show the couple holding a football together, standing under the chuppah (the canopy under which a Jewish couple stand during their wedding ceremony). The bride is wearing her sunglasses and a white wedding dress, whilst the groom is of course wearing his beloved Tottenham's shirt. I decorated the chuppah with flowers and put the flag of Denmark, a Union Jack and Israel's national flag in between the flowers.
My customer thought it would be fun to add the wedding greeting in Danish, English and Hebrew. The English and Hebrew I could cope with. The Danish I left to her to let me know!
As you can see by the date on the card, the wedding was yesterday. Congratulations, Mazal Tov... and Tillykke! I am sure that the couple had a wonderful day.
Last weekend we celebrated the festival of Shavuot, the Jewish holiday that celebrates Moses receiving the Ten Commandments. In biblical times the holiday also marked the beginning of the new agricultural season and was called Hag HaKatzir, which means “The Harvest Holiday.” I blogged about it here. Jewish holidays often have some food-related component and Shavuot is no different. It is traditional to eat cheesecake on this particular festival and so I made my favourite recipe, which you can find here. It's quite a fancy cake to make and it does take time to put it together, but it really is delicious. I thought it looked so good that it was worthy of a photograph too. I hope it doesn't make you hungry!

5 comments:

singh.nishtha@gmail.com said...

Very thoughtful and ofcourse beautiful...

I look forward and wait for your cards...

you are an inspiration....

Miss Val's Creations said...

Nice work with the wedding greeting! I always enjoy seeing how you incorporate different elements into your cards and albums!

Any celebration that includes cheesecake sounds wonderful!!!

Additionsstyle said...

Sounds like it was a fun card to create, with lots of cool images. Your cheese cake looks really tasty.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Anonymous said...

any cake left?

Julie S said...

Fantastic card, yet again. (And the cheesecake looks very delicious....)

Shareaholic