Tuesday 15 January 2013

Opa and Savta

A fellow blogger, whom I met on the Jerusalem Scavenger Hunt, recently wrote and asked me to make a special card for her parents-in-law's 40th wedding anniversary. I explained what information I would need from her to make the customised card and, goodness me, did she send me a lot to work with!
The couple are originally from New York but now live in Jerusalem. Their daughter-in-law told me that Israel is very important to them. Her father-in-law studies Jewish texts and has had a Sefer Torah written in his name. They love to host people in their Jerusalem home, especially on Shabbat and Sukkot, and they have a very big Sukkah for that reason, after years of living in an apartment, and thus no room for a Sukkah, in New York. Lastly, they like to play cards, and games such as Scrabble and Rummikub.
So how did I incorporate all that on the card? Well I crafted a little picture of the couple, Mum wearing a head covering (some Orthodox married women cover their hair) and Dad with a black kippa. A road sign points to New York and Jerusalem, and below that, a little papercut illustration, above, depicts their new hometown of Jerusalem.

and Savta (Grandmother in Hebrew). It seems that they appreciated the card. My customer told me that it was "a hit!"

3 comments:

dottycookie said...

I do love your personalised cards and the stories behind them. they're wonderful!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Amazing details Lisa!

Meeling said...

Very cool Lisa! Always enjoy the bright colors your cards have. :)

Shareaholic