Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Bar Mitzvah Boys

My eldest son is in his Bar Mitzvah year and it seems to be all we talk about at the moment! I am sure there will be plenty of posts about our own celebrations as we approach the date, but in the meantime I seem to be busy with Bar Mitzvah cards, invitations and albums for his friends and other customers with boys of the same age.
Amir's Mum requested a special card for her son's big day. She wanted me to show him doing all the things he loves: playing basketball, the guitar and using Facebook on his computer. I was a bit baffled by his blue guitar at first and assumed that is must be an electric one, but Amir's Mum told me that he has a regular blue guitar and so, with a little Photoshop work, I was able to pick up the blue pattern and create a paper version of it. The Hebrew greeting on the card says "To Amir, blessings on your Bar Mitzvah".
'Mum' sent me the most wonderful message after she had seen the card. "You're a champion" she wrote. "It came out great. Thank you very much." Well, actually she wrote all that in Hebrew but since many of my readers don't understand Hebrew, I've translated it for you.
As well as several large customised cards, I've also been making a whole bunch of my regular sized cards recently too. We are lucky to have some lovely friends who include us in their sons' Bar Mitzvah celebrations and I am always pleased to make these boys one of my cards, even though it's usually their Mums who get more excited about it!
These particular cards - a favourite design at the moment - show the tallit (prayer shawl), a kippa (skullcap) and a Sefer Torah (a long scroll containing the entire text of the Five Books of Moses: the biblical books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy). On the first Sabbath of his thirteenth year the Bar Mitzvah boy is called up to read the weekly portion from the Torah. He wears the tallit and kippa whilst reading, so I included all these elements on the Bar Mitzvah cards. 
I have written a personalised greeting for each boy underneath.

5 comments:

Richard said...

Great card

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautiful work as always! It must be so fun to plan your son's Bar Mitzvah after helping so many others with cards and invites over the years. :)

Denise Kiggan said...

I look forward to enjoying your son's Bar Mitvah online. It was a very moving experience for us to come across a Bar Mitvah procession while we were in Jerusalem. Our tour guide encouraged us to join in as they past us and we walked a little way with them!

Nupur Bhatia said...

I reached your blog through Ann Martin's blog and I must say I am totally floored by your beautiful work! You are an amazing artist! Creating a whole scene starting from a sketch and bringing all the things special for the receiver is no simple task. And you implement it to perfection!

I would love to have you visit my blog Thrilling Quilling

Nupur

Jackie said...

I've really enjpoyed scrolling down th epage and looking at your wonderful creations. You are such an artist.

Shareaholic