Sunday 29 September 2013

Russian Economics

Lest you think that I haven't been creating cards lately, here are a couple of designs to prove otherwise! Actually these were made in the summer but happily I have a bit of a backlog of stuff to show you.
The first card was made for my customer's brother who was a professor of Economics at Amsterdam University and specialized in Soviet and Russian economics. Even in retirement he's still busy writing books and attending conferences, and he still lives in Amsterdam.
Not the easiest interests to portray but I had a go!
I have shown the professor dressed in his academic garb, with a pile of books nearby. The chart, coins and flag of Russia represent his specialized subject and the shield from the coat of arms of Amsterdam show the country he chose to make his home.
I noticed in the photograph my customer sent me that this gentleman was wearing some large glasses. I made sure to copy them as accurately as possible. You can see these teeny tiny black and white glasses below.
The second request from my customer was a card for a couple who live in Ireland. The gentleman is an author and has written many books, whilst his partner is a dance teacher. My customer wanted to show them with the Old City of Jerusalem in the background. I crafted the arches and stone walls of "Jerusalem of Gold" and added a little Montefiore Windmill. Some books represent his writing, whilst the black dance shoes and music notes symbolize her passion for dance.
After my customer collected her cards she was kind enough to write and tell me that she recognised her brother immediately. She later told me that her friends in Ireland and her brother were delighted with the cards.

2 comments:

Meeling said...

How fun Lisa! You always find a way to make each and every card so unique and special. :-)

Miss Val's Creations said...

They are both wonderful Lisa! I love the details.

Shareaholic