Sunday 20 December 2015

Zara's Album

Zara celebrated her Batmitzvah last month. Her auntie asked me to create an album for her celebration. Zara's interests, she told me, include cooking - especially sushi, guacamole and pancakes, though obviously not all together - shopping, Sami the cat and animals in general. She likes drawing, decorating lockers at her school, her iPhone, and doing things to make others happy. Cooking, her auntie agreed, could be the main focus of the album cover. 
I decided to show Zara sitting at a table with some chopsticks and sushi in one hand. There is sushi, guacamole, and a plate of pancakes on the table, along with some pencils and her yellow iPhone 5c. Sami the cat is next to her, whilst behind her are some shopping bags. The colour scheme for her Batmitzvah party was hot pink and white, so I included those colours as much as I could on the cover of the album too. A Magen David (Star of David) in two corners added a Jewish element to the design.
I decorated several of the pages inside the album too. Sami the cat made an appearance once again, followed by some shopping bags, then a plate of sushi. Yum! I included her iPhone again, then devoted a page to her passion for locker decorating. Apparently she uses glitter paper, duct tape, felt and mirrors on her locker designs. Plastic bins, hooks and pen holders are added too. It was a little hard to illustrate her hobby. I hope that Zara realised what the grey locker door and the green shiny mirror represented! Some pots of pencils and spotted tape completed the "locker design" page.
My customer, Zara's auntie, wrote to tell me that the album was very well received by Zara and was put to use immediately. They used it at the party to stick in the photos from the photo booth.
What a great way to use one of my albums!

5 comments:

Coastal Ripples said...

What beautiful illustrations. I particularly liked the cat :) Merry Christmas. Barbara

TexWisGirl said...

so very cute!!

Quinn said...

Excellent work! I especially love Sami the cat :)

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love it! Particularly how you placed the cat at the table! I have had cats who wanted to be human so it cracks me up.

VeggieMummy said...

Wow - that card could have been made for my daughter - sushi, guacamole and pancakes; just her type of thing. Enjoy the holidays. xx

Shareaholic