Thursday 23 March 2017

Mazal Tov Max and Good Luck Ben

A customer asked me to make a special card for her nephew's Bar Mitzvah. She specifically asked me to show him wearing his new tallit (prayer shawl), purchased specially for the occasion, and wanted me to include pictures of the Kotel (the Western Wall), Masada and the Dead Sea, all places he had visited on a recent trip to Israel. She also requested a Sefer Torah (a handwritten copy of the Torah, the holiest book in Judaism), with a reference to Parashat Terumah, the weekly Torah portion that the Bar Mitzvah boy was to read on his big day.
Each week in synagogue, we read (or, more accurately, chant, because it is sung) a passage from the Torah. This passage is referred to as a parshah. The first parshah, for example, is Parshat Bereishit, which covers the period from the beginning of Genesis to the story of Noah. There are 54 parshahs, and in the course of a year we read the entire Torah (Genesis to Deuteronomy) in our services.
The Bar Mitzvah boy's cousin has recently joined the Israel Defence Forces (IDF), so the same customer wanted a good luck card for her son. He has gone into the Home Front Search and Rescue Unit, so she requested the symbol of the unit on the card. I added the flag of Israel and some black military boots. The Hebrew greeting on the card says giyus cal, an easy recruitment.

14 comments:

Claire Justine said...

Lovely cards :) So creative.

Tamar SB said...

I love the details on the atarah!

Miss Val's Creations said...

So well done Lisa!

Debbie said...

Hi, you really have a steady hand. Whenever I try to cut something out on one of those magic boards it never comes out as it should. Your cards a really lovely and so personal too.

Thank you for linking up with the #MMBC.

xx

restlessjo said...

It's good to be so close to your religion, Lisa :) :)

krishna said...

What a beautiful card!!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Such an interesting post... and beautiful cards, as always!
Good luck to both boys in their endeavours!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm amazed at what you can do with paper....it seems magical to me. I am sure every card of yours that is ever sent becomes a lifetime keepsake. I also enjoyed learning about your rites and celebrations. Thank you for teaching in such a lovely way.

Forest Dream Weaver said...

Must have been exciting to receive this special card!
Happy Monday!

abrianna said...

Great cards. I really like the military one.

Ida said...

You always do such a nice job of making the cards etc...personal to the recipent. This one is very nice.

If you subscribe to my blog via e-mail for updates you may need to resign up as I recently switched e-mail addresses.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your make such beautiful detailed cards. I can see why you are a have many happy customers!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for explaining all the symbols and their meaning. It makes it much more interesting for us at ALL SEASONS:) Maybe I overlooked it, but what is the blue printed small shawl on top of the prayer shawl? And at one I time I knew it, but are the Prophets also read in the synagogue?

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

The cards you make are always so unique and you put a lot of thought into them! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Shareaholic