Monday 4 June 2018

Eighty, Seventy

My Dad recently reached the grand age of 80. Unfortunately I was not able to be with him to celebrate but of course a special card was popped in the mail for his big day.
Dad is a huge supporter of his local football team, Hull City A.F.C., who play in the Championship, the second tier of English football. I have made him many Hull City themed cards over the years. The first thing to go on this year's card was a black and amber striped scarf (Dad's team traditionally plays in black and amber, often with a striped shirt design, hence their nickname The Tigers). Then, moving clockwise, I added the logo of the family business where he spent most of his working life, and an Israeli flag (yes, his daughter lives in Israel but Dad has been a lifelong supporter of Israel and has done huge amounts of charity work for our little country over the years). Next came a watering can, a trowel and some tomatoes (Dad is obsessed with loves growing tomatoes in his greenhouse), a football, and the JNF (Jewish National Fund) logo showing a little boy wearing a Kova Tembel and hugging a tree. Finally I added a picture of my dear Mum and Dad on their wedding day back in 1966 (yes, he always reminds us that it was the same year that England won the World Cup!). In the middle of the card is a big number 80 to mark Dad's age, and below that, a black and white photo of his parents.
Dad didn't want any presents but I had an idea that I knew would make him happy. In recent years I have collected quite a number of family photos together and, when Dad visits, have sat with him and discussed who everyone is in the pictures. I put together a  photo book of all his close relatives, from his great-grandparents all the way through to my youngest son, his youngest grandchild. I have yet to see the book (we live in different countries!) but I know that it was a BIG hit!
Around about the same time, another dad was celebrating a milestone birthday. This dad turned 70 and his daughter asked me to make him a customised card showing his various hobbies. Books had to feature, she told me. He has researched Sephardi history in depth. He is a tour guide here in Israel and worked as a psychologist up until his retirement.
I showed bespectacled dad with a book on Sephardi history in one hand and a psychology book in the other. Another small pile of books is in front of him. Behind him I created a teeny tiny Montefiore Windmill, Tower of David, Dome of the Rock, a palm tree, a map of Israel, and a desert scene, all representing his tour guiding in Israel and the different places he takes his visitors.
"Happy 70th Birthday Dad Saba Grandpa!" the card says. Saba is the Hebrew name for grandfather.

17 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

2 more beautiful cards and I bet your Dad loved his photo album - such a thoughtful gift. xx

likeschocolate said...

Didn't know you were from England! Happy Birthday to your dad and have a fantastic week!

Tamar SB said...

So lovely! Happy birthday to him!

Sum of their Stories said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad! My middle son was working in Hull last week, no time to watch football though!
I love really personal cards, these are both lovely.

Claire Justine said...

Lovely cards. Happy Birthday to your Dad :)

Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays. Hope to see you on Wednesday or Friday for our next blog hops.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Great milestones in life 70 and 80! Lovely cards! #MMBC

Ericka @ A Quiet Girl's Musings... said...

Very crafty and interesting cards!

Visiting from The Good, The Random... linkup.

Angie said...

If that's a current photo of your dad at 80 - wow- you have good genes!

jesh StG said...

My goodness - is your dad in the first photo?? He looks at least 10 years younger! A photo book for someone at that stage of life is a great present! Hope I can get through with my comment. Thanks you for sharing this momentous event of your dad with All Seasons, and have a beautiful wee,!

Louisa said...

It's wonderful to make personalised cards that reflect the recipients hobbies. The photo book is also a great idea. I think I may so something similar for my moms upcoming birthday. Thanks for the inspiration #keepingitreal

Debbie said...

Hi Lisa, your cards are always so wonderfully thought out and I'm sure your Dad will be tickled pink to see what you've created for him this year. Eighty is a grand old age, I hope he's around for many more years lovingly tending his tomato plants!

Thank you for linking up with #keepingitreal.

xx

NCSue said...

You do such beautiful work - always.
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/06/an-unusual-sighting.html

Spectrum Mum said...

Such a special card. I bet your dad loved it and also a lovely idea to make a photo book. Congratulations. #LGRTStumble

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I love all of the details that you put into your cards. Great gift of a photo album! thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

chickenruby said...

what gorgeous cards, you can see so much love, time and effort has gone into producing your card for your father #keepingitreal

Michele Morin said...

You have such a talent with paper!
And with cookies . . .
Those look like one of my kids' favorites.

betty-NZ said...

I love seeing your 'work' that you love to do, so it can't be called work!! Happy birthday to your Dad.

Shareaholic