Monday 22 October 2018

80 Years Old and Awesome

Some time ago a customer asked me to make an 80th birthday card for her mum. Apparently she creates pottery, plays tennis, sews, likes flowers and gardening, and often hosts her daughter and family for Shabbat dinner. She also likes the colour orange, her daughter pointed out, and could I include a picture of mum as well?
There was lot to fit on the card!
I created a little paper portrait of mum in the centre of the card and added a big orange number 80. Then, clockwise from the left, I added two little photos showing her working on some of her pottery pieces. Next I cut out a tennis racket and tennis ball, some tiny reels of cotton and a needle, and included a watering can, trowel and some leaves to represent her interest in gardening. Finally I added two candlesticks and two loaves of challah to represent their family Shabbat meals.
The Shabbat candles are traditionally lit by the woman of the household just before sundown to welcome the Shabbat. Lighting the candles brings not only a physical light but also peace, harmony, serenity and spirituality into the home. I also created two plaited challot, above. Most people think of challah as that special, yummy, plaited bread eaten after the Kiddush (the blessing recited over wine to sanctify the Shabbat and Jewish holidays) but it really represents so much more. "Challah" is actually the piece of dough that is removed from the loaf before it is plaited, not the plaited bread loaf itself. After the challah was removed it was traditionally given as a sacrifice to the Holy Priest, representing a consecration to G-d, but in modern times it is either burnt in the oven or frozen and then thrown away. The separation of the challah is one the 613 mitzvot (commandments of Jewish law) that contribute toward creating a Jewish life.
This "Brother" was also turning 80. Apparently he has just bought himself a sports car, his sister told me, so that's what I put on his birthday card. Drive safely!

6 comments:

handmade by amalia said...

What great cards. 80 isn't what it used to be :-)
Amalia
xo

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

My goodness that mum is busy. Makes me look like a slacker. #MMBC

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Love the cards and the full, rich lives they celebrate. 80 *is* awesome for them ... getting close ourselves and hope it will be for us as well! Happy to learn about the challah loaf...I didn’t know that, thank you.

Anne said...

Wow, I'd love to be so active at 80! And to have a sports car! Fabulous cards as always.

VeggieMummy said...

Interesting about the loaf. I hope that I'm that active when I reach 80! xx

Miss Val's Creations said...

Nice work incorporating all those details Lisa!

Shareaholic