Thursday 7 February 2019

Seventy, Sixty

A family friend contacted me some time ago to see if I could make a special card for his mum's upcoming 70th birthday. Mum likes doing paper puzzles, surfing the web for cruises, watching television and being taken out, he told me. She loves chocolate and cake and, like me, is a Hull City A.F.C. supporter. I suggested adding one of my paper portraits to the card and a big number 70 to mark her special birthday.
I have shown mum with a bar of chocolate in one hand and a big slice of cake in the other. On the left of her card I have added a computer with a picture of a cruise ship on the screen, Hull City's current logo, featuring a tiger's head in an amber shield, and a television with Bargain Hunt showing on it. Her son told me that mum likes to watch Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Neighbours and Bargain Hunt! To the right, below the number 70, is a little table piled with treats since she enjoys being taken out, and below that, a small Sudoku and crossword puzzle.
"I got the card this morning. It's great. Thank you." my customer wrote to me, then followed up to tell me that his mum really liked the card.
A book club friend asked me to make a card for her husband's 60th birthday, below. His interests include music, especially the Beatles and playing the guitar. He is originally from Australia, enjoys public speaking and is a guide at Yad Vashem, Israel's official memorial to the victims of the Holocaust. She also suggested I add the logo of the company where he works, oh and added that he is a big fan of potatoes and cholent, a traditional "Jewish" stew. It is usually simmered overnight for 12 hours or more, and eaten for lunch on Shabbat (the Sabbath).
I included all these things on his birthday card. You can see the cholent and potatoes to the top left. Below them is a megaphone to represent his love of public speaking. The Yad Vashem logo (Yad Vashem literally means "a monument and a name"), a map of Australia, and a black and white photo of the Beatles follow. From the top right I have added his company logo, a classical guitar and some music notes. A big red number 60 marks his age.
"I never told you how much Michael appreciated the card." my friend later told me.

* This post has been shared on Little Things Thursday, Creatively Crafty Link Party, All Seasons and Creative Mondays.

17 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Wonderful cards - I think if one was done for me it would also include cake and chocolate! xx

Tamar SB said...

Love the little Australia map!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

So much detail and thought goes into each of your cards!

Kippi O'Hern said...

I love the personal cards. They are really a heartfelt gift. Happy Crafting, Kippi #kippiathome

Miss Val's Creations said...

So many fun details on these cards. My 70th one would probably look a lot like the one here, especially the chocolate part!

SimsLife.co.uk said...

Your cards are so beautiful and creative! Love how they tie in with what the recipient likes! Sim xx #PoCoLo

italiafinlandia said...

The lady in the first card has so amiable eyes!

Cheryl said...

I love all the detail you put in your cards. They must make such thoughtful cards as well as feeling like a gift. Both cards are eye catching and make you look more closely. #MMBC

Deb said...

Aw these are such lovely cards and what a thoughtful gift #mmbc
Debs @ https://tiger-mint.com

Sarah | Boo Roo and Tigger Too said...

These are do creative, a wonderful way to capture the personality of the recipient

Aritha V. said...

Again a wonderful card! Very nice.

Anne said...

oh yes, a cake in one hand a bar of chocolate in the other...that would please me. Then the Beatles and the guitar, you've pleased my husband too. Wonderful creative cards, only you could make potatoes look good on a birthday card.
#mmbc

Kim Carberry said...

These are fab cards. Great job! You always get them spot on x

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Your birthday cards are amazing! You captured the spirits beautifully in the cards with all the details!!

-Soma

Junieper2 said...

Both nice cards, Lisa! I like the husband's one - so many activities! And the stew shimmered over 12 hrs. -that makes so much sense, if you can't cook on the Sabbath:) Many thanks for sharing -and you were the first one!

Jeanna said...

Wonderful, wonderful I was just going to ask what a 60 card looked like. Wish I had thought of asking you sooner about a card for my cousin. For some reason, she's bummed about turning 61.

Sum of their Stories said...

These cards that you make are so special. I bet a lot of them are framed and treasured for a long time.
I wonder how Hull FC are doing these days, it's not an internationally known top club is it? !

Shareaholic