Sunday 24 March 2019

Rejuvenation

I've posted photos of spring flowers here many times before. I love this time of the year and often head outside with my camera. You can read more about the various places  where I have taken  photos here and here. But this post isn't actually about flowers (my photos of flowers are far prettier than what I am going to write about). This post is a rather personal post about my life over the last few months. I haven't mentioned it here till now, but the last few months have been rather tough ones. You see, apart from making my handmade cards and albums, I have also been dealing with breast cancer.
Towards the end of October last year I went for my annual mammogram. Official Israeli policy for early detection of breast cancer recommends that every woman between the ages of 50 and 74 be tested at least once every two years. I am not yet 50 but was already going for regular check ups, having chosen to do so a number of years earlier. My grannie had breast cancer at the age of 44, though she lived to a grand old age, so I was cautious but never particularly worried about the test.
I wasn't even that worried when my doctor suggested I go back a week later for a biopsy. She thought she might have seen something during the ultrasound, but not to worry about it. I was so unconcerned that I met a friend for coffee after my Jerusalem based appointment and we chatted about everything but what the doctor had just told me!
One week later I was back there again for a very uncomfortable hour-long biopsy. And one week after that, on my eldest son's 18th birthday, they called me back in once again, this time to tell me that I had breast cancer.
I went home and baked him a birthday cake.
I have discovered that the Israeli medical system provides wonderful care. A date was set just three weeks later for a lumpectomy. However, arranging all the appointments and filling in the paperwork in the meantime was a nightmare! We visited so many different hospitals for the various tests and scans I needed to do pre-op, made so many phone calls, and answered so many questions over and over again. I am grateful that Mister Handmade in Israel and I can both speak Hebrew, can navigate the web and can drive. I cannot imagine what those few weeks would have been like without those skills.
At the end of November I had a lumpectomy. I recovered very quickly and very soon went back to photographing flowers and creating. I even managed to fit in a couple of wonderful exhibitions, including the marvelous David Rubinger one at the Eretz Israel Museum in Tel Aviv, though I do acknowledge that most people wouldn't have pushed themselves quite as hard as I did to get there! The weeks that followed involved physiotherapy on my arm, needed because I had a lymph node removed, and still more phone calls to arrange the next stage of treatment, radiotherapy.

I finished radiotherapy a couple of weeks ago. There isn't a hospital in the relatively new city where I live, so that meant I needed to go to Tel Aviv every day for quite some weeks. It wasn't a fun time! Whilst my friends were amazing and arranged a timetable so that most days someone was able to drive me and keep me company, I found the treatment itself very cold and impersonal. Of course I was fortunate that my cancer had been found early, had not spread and therefore, for those and other reasons, I did not need chemotherapy. However, as horrible as chemotherapy is, I gather that great care is taken of you and someone is with you all of the time.
My radiation experience was quite different. I was given a time to arrive, waited, often for quite some time, in a large waiting room until my number was called, then it was in and out. No time for any small talk, no time to see how I felt, no time to check I was comfortable. The staff just wanted to keep things moving.
I was very glad when it was over.

And that's where I am today. I dealt with some rather horrible radiation burns and was sore, but I am cancer-free and hope to stay that way! I am grateful that I was organised enough to go for regular check ups, and appreciate the early detection and the overall good medical care that I received.
We recently marked the first day of spring and will soon put the clocks ahead one hour and watch as nature comes out of hibernation. During the cold, wet winter, I often find it hard to believe that trees will ever get their leaves back or that flowers will ever bloom again, but sure enough, every year they do and, as you have seen from my photos, they do it in a magnificent way! Spring is also a time for personal change, rejuvenation and new ideas. For my part I am looking forward to a few nice days out that don't involve hospital appointments, some new creative projects and some interesting orders. Can't wait to hear from you soon!

33 comments:

Aritha V. said...

O thank you so much for your personal story, Lisa. I was shocked to read about it. Now that I know it, I will pray for you and your family. How is your energy level after the medical treatments?

Miss Val's Creations said...

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear you have gone through this but I am also happy to hear you are cancer free. Early detection is so important and it sounds like the timing of your exam could not have been more perfect. I will be thinking of you. Keep enjoying nature since it so good for the soul.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I'm glad you started mammograms early - I disagree with the 50 start date. Too many young women die from this horrible disease. My sister is retired and a little over 12 years ago went for her annual mammogram. The hospital called and said come back. Her OBGYN called and said go back. Her primary physician called and said go back. She ended up having a lumpectomy too even though there was no lump - they found the cancer at the cellular level. A friend drove her twice a day for a week to the hospital for chemicals to be applied in a little pocket in her breast. She has been cancer free since. My prayers are with your family and you. It is a frightening and not pleasant experience. I feel like you are a distant friend and would appreciate anything you wish to share.

Jayne said...

It is so very brave of you to share this with us Lisa and I am so glad that you beat this truly awful disease. As you know, my mum went through the same so I do understand how scary it must have been for you. Always here if you need a chat.

Sending all the love across to you! x

Powell River Books said...

So glad you finished cancer free. I had an ultrasound checking on some kidney stones I had six months prior. Funny thing, they didn't find any more stones, but they did find a large ovarian cyst. I am now recovering from surgery. Because of my age (70) I chose a full hysterectomy so there are no further problems as I get older and less capable of a good recovery. The good news there was no cancer. I was worried about that because both of my parents had cancer issues. It's nice to be healing during spring. It's a rejuvenating season. - Margy

Terri said...

I am sorry to hear what you have gone through but am happy that you were able to catch it in time and you are in remission now. I know how hard it can be navigating through medical issues. I don't understand why it has to be so hard. I hope things continue to go well for you and you enjoy spring.

Crummy Mummy said...

Goodness what an end and start to the year and what an honest & frank post - I'm sure speaking so candidly will help lots of readers & hope you are feeling better now x #MMBC

VeggieMummy said...

Goodness, I wasn't expecting that news. I'm so pleased that they detected it early and that the treatment has been successful. My heart ached when I read that after your diagnosis you went home and made your son a birthday cake - there's Supermum right there! Beautiful spring flowers and a beautiful lady. Sending virtual hugs, my friend. xx

junieper2 said...

Feel privileged you trusted us at All Seasons with telling about all the things you have gone through! You are a trooper, with a strong mind -and all this time you were still blogging!
Am so very happy for you, that you're cancer free. Kind of symbolic you posted these flowers. There can be very dark and cold winters in our lives, but winter always turns into spring! Wishing a loooong spring time:)
Also happy for your hubby and sons, who now have a recuperating mom and wife. Jesh

Tamar SB said...

So pretty! We'll be warming up finally at the end of the week!!

Anne said...

Oh Lisa, what an experience. I'm so glad it has a happy ending. Thank you for sharing, I'm sure you will give others hope. Well done for beating that dreaded disease. xx

Meditations in Motion said...

What an adventure! Thank you for sharing. I loved seeing the flowers. They give me spring fever; it may be spring on the calendar, but there are very few flowers blooming here.

Kim Carberry said...

Oh my goodness. It sounds like you have been through so much. What a worry for you. I am so glad you are cancer free. I hope it stays that way. Thank you for sharing. xx

Catherine Lanser said...

So sorry to hear about your cancer. Wishing you the best as you continue to heal and enjoy the spring. #MMBC

NCSue said...

Lisa, I just celebrated 5 years of clean mammograms with no evidence of recurrence of my breast cancer. It wasn't always a smooth journey, but I had plenty of support along the way. I pray you will have a smooth and complete recovery.
God bless you.
Sue
https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/03/our-orchids-are-showing-off.html

Lady Fi said...

How gorgeous!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Oh Lisa, I too was very sorry to hear what you have been going through. Fortunately the things look so good now. Take care of yourself!
Spring in Israel is wonderful. You can never post too many photos. :)
Blessings and hugs and stay safe!

TheChieftess said...

So glad that you can see Spring as a rejuvenation, both for the earth and for you! Congratulations on being cancer free!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Big hugs, Lisa. You're one tough cookie. A lovely one, too. It's good to share stories. :-)

betty-NZ said...

Bless your heart! I'm glad things are looking up for you personally and that nature is popping up in beautiful color!

betty-NZ said...

Thank you so much for linking up to My Corner of the World this week!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I am sorry you been through this but, so happy you cancer free. Having the mammograms early is important. Sending prayers and hugs, thanks for sharing your story. Your flowers and photos are gorgeous.
Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend ahead.

Tom said...

...beautiful images of the rebirth of the earth in spring. I'm still waiting for it here, it's just around the corner.

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing this story. Mammograms happen here at age 40. I am glad this had a happy ending for you and I hope you stay healthy. Thanks for linking up today.

Out on the prairie said...

It is nice to have caught it early enough for them to get rid of it. It can be very traumatic to just go through all the procedures and there are a number of groups to join to deal with that.

Peabea Scribbles said...

So very brave for you to tell your story, and I'm sure will be helpful to women who need reminders for having a mammogram. My heart tugged for you because as a mom, that's what mom's do, go home and bake the birthday cake. Prayers for you that it never, ever returns and soon all healing completely and back to normal.

riitta k said...

The cancer is so frightening thing. I am so glad you went to the tests and it was found at an early stage. I'm wishing you the most wonderful spring & summer!

Timelesslady said...

Beautiful flowers. I have good news. My mother had breast cancer over twenty years ago and though it was hard road, she got through it, and she is over 80 now and going strong. God bless you.

csuhpat1 said...

What a personal story and very lovely pictures to along with it. Bless you. #PoCoLo

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh Lisa, I’m so glad you are recovering well hand so glad you were proactive in getting that first test done early). (And I am so glad I decided to scroll back to look at posts I’d missed as I’ve gotten way behind on many of my favorite blogs). You presented this information in such a positive way, using the Spring flowers to represent hope and looking forward, so that even when I read the first mention of your bad news, I knew immediately that you’d gone through this ordeal with a positive attitude. That counts for so much. That and good medical care of course and I’m so glad you had both. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Morgan Prince said...

I'm so glad to hear you're cancer free! Take some time to take care of yourself. :)
Thanks for sharing with #pocolo

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this story.Hand Rejuvenation in Dubai

health care said...

Thank you for sharing this story. Great blog post and really helpful How Much Hand Rejuvenation Cost in Dubai

Shareaholic