Wednesday 16 October 2019

Birthday Cards for Dads

A new customer spotted my work online and contacted me to see if I could make a birthday card for her dad's upcoming 70th birthday. His hobbies include following Manchester United F.C., swimming, walking and Pilates and he loves Bazooka bubble gum, she told me. It was definitely the first time I had been asked to feature bubble gum on a card!
Dad's favourite hobby is walking in the countryside, so I have shown him against a background of rolling green hills. He has a rucksack on his back. I added a big red number 70 in the top left-hand corner of the card, followed by some Bazooka bubble gums, the Manchester United club crest and a football. A silhouette of dad doing some Pilates can be seen to his left, along with a swimming towel and goggles.
My customer left the most wonderful review in my Etsy shop:
"Wonderful job. Lisa finished it very fast and went to great effort to ensure it was delivered on time. She did a superb job, we all loved it. The likeness was amazing and the card was fantastic. Thank you!"
This dad was turning 75. I made a birthday card for his wife earlier in the year. He likes watching Formula 1 and cricket, his son told me, and he is very keen on building Lego models. He is also a fan of Emmerdale, a television soap opera set in the heart of the Yorkshire countryside.
I have shown him with some Lego in his hand. A television screen behind him has the Emmerdale opening title on it. I added the number 75 to mark his age, the red Formula 1 logo - apparently its red colour represents passion and energy - and a racing car, and finally, a cricket bat, ball and stumps. The bat looks a bit wonky in this photo but I straightened it up before I sent the card out!
"I'm sure my Dad will love the card" his son wrote to me.

9 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

I love seeing your cards - as well as the beautiful craftsmanship (craftswomanship?!), I like seeing everyone's different hobbies. It's years since I had any Bazooka bubble gum, but seeing the wrapper I can remember the flavour clearly! xx

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It’s so fun to see how you personalize the cards... one of these days, I will order one for someone I love.

Michele Morin said...

So festive and personal! A great way to celebrate a life!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I had to laugh when I read about the bubble gum! Lovely cards as usual!

Cloudia said...

Very nice 👍

Aritha V. said...

I love to see them. Well done.

Sharon Wagner said...

Nice! So special.

Cheryl said...

You do get such a variety of requests. Wondered how you would do the bubble gum. #mmbc

italiafinlandia said...

The cards are beautifully done and the people celebrated seem to be quite active. That's only good.

Shareaholic