Thursday 2 April 2020

The Three "E"s

I have been making birthday cards for Eden for a number of years. Last year she was on the same mechina (pre-army programme) as my eldest son and that was what featured on her 19th birthday card. She is now a soldier in the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) so this year, for her 20th birthday, her mum asked me to show Eden in uniform on her card. Mum pointed out the aiguillette or sroch in Hebrew, an ornamental braided cord which she wears on the left shoulder of her uniform to indicate her specific role in the army. I was also asked to include Eden's boyfriend on the card, so I dressed him in his air force madei alef, the formal beige uniform which pilots wear for ceremonies.
Eden has long been interested in makeup. Mum sent me a photo of her current favourite brand, Huda Beauty and I added a tiny eye-shadow palette in similar colours, makeup brushes and a lipstick. A big number 20 marks her age.
Ella and Shai recently moved in to their first home together so Ella's parents asked me to make the the young couple a "Happy New Home" card. They were very specific with their request. I should show the couple outside a house - not an apartment - holding the key to their front door. There should also be a sign outside saying "Welcome to Givon" (Givon is an Israel settlement northwest of Jerusalem). I am not sure that the "house" I illustrated looks exactly like the one that the couple now live in but you get the idea...
Finally Emily, our third young lady with a name beginning with 'E', was turning 23. Her auntie requested a card using a Bongo's Bingo theme. Apparently Bongo's Bingo consists of several rounds of bingo interspersed with rave intervals, dance-offs and catwalks down tables. It's essentially bingo played over pitchers of cocktails and beer, with frantic dancing to 90s pop music and celebrity entertainment.
Of course, I'd never heard of it!
I created a card with some cocktail glasses, music notes and bingo balls on it. The eagle-eyed among you might notice that all the balls mark Emily's age!

PoCoLo

10 comments:

Tamar SB said...

These are so lovely!! I smile seeing them and can only imagine the joy they bring to the recipients!

VeggieMummy said...

Great cards. Bongo's Bingo is new to me too - not at all like the game my aunties used to play! xx

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love your cards as usual. I have never heard of Bongo Bingo but that sounds like a lot of fun. Happy Thursday to you!

annies home said...

nice cards filled with such beauty thanks for sharing and I am sure the new owners will love them as well
come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

italiafinlandia said...

All three are nice.
All the best to you!

Chickenruby said...

I've never heard of Bongos Bingo either, sounds fun though. Love the detail in the uniform with the cord. Thank you for joining in with #pocolo and hope to see you back in 2 weeks, keep well

riitta k said...

Home sweet home! Charming card. Have a sunny Sunday.

junieper/Jesh said...

Of course, my attention goes to the first girl. Hard to imagine young women in the Army. Don't know if that is ever going to happen in the USA. The girls are so pampered here, most of them living like a princess and protected like one. A new home is an excellent occasion for your card. Do you now have less business in this time, or? Many thanks of sharing with all Seasons the opportunities you have. Wishing you a very good week and inspiration, Jesh

Powell River Books said...

I am sure your cards are a bright spot in the lives of those who arrange for them, and those who receive them. - Margy

Stephanie 139a said...

I've not heard of Bongo Bingo either - but it sounds fun! Hope you and yours are keeping well - thanks for joining us at #PoCoLo

Shareaholic