Monday 24 August 2020

Pomegranates

I recently posted some photos on facebook which I took on a walk Mister Handmade in Israel and I went on in the Rosh HaAyin forest. One photo got much more attention than the others - a photo of some beautiful red pomegranates dangling from a laden tree in the remains of Mahtzevet HaShezafim, the Jujube Tree Quarry. So much interest in these pomegranates inspired me to create a papercut of them and this is the result.
My design is embellished with pomegranates and flowers. In the Jewish faith, pomegranates are traditionally eaten on Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) because it has 613 seeds, which coincide with the 613 commandments of the Torah. Furthermore, the pomegranate represents fruitfulness. We use them in our Rosh Hashanah meals as a positive omen.
The word "Shalom", which appears in both English and Hebrew, like many Hebrew words has more than one meaning. Shalom means peace. However "peace" is only one small part of the meaning. "Shalom" is also used to both greet people and to say goodbye, but it means much more than "peace, hello or goodbye"...
Shalom is rooted in the word שלם (shaleim) which means wholeness, completion, wellness, perfection. When we are "at peace" we feel a sense of "wholeness."
With Rosh Hashanah approaching, this papercut would make a great gift for the holiday, or for a wedding, anniversary or birthday. It is drawn and cut entirely by hand from a single sheet of Textura Recycled Bright White Card. It measures 30x21cm and fits perfectly into an IKEA frame. The backing paper can be changed, if you prefer something other than red, though I picked red as a reminder of those shiny pomegranates.
If you would like to order a papercut or take a further look, it is available right here in my Etsy shop.
JENerally Informed

17 comments:

Claire Justine said...

Such a beautiful and creative card Lisa. Love the colours :) #MMBC

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I've never seen pomegranates on a tree - wonderful - I always love your cut out creations.

Tamar SB said...

That's gorgeous!!

Kim Carberry said...

That is a really pretty card and the pomegranates on the tree is fab. I've never seen them on trees before x

NCSue said...

Oh I really like this! Such beautiful sharp contrast with the red and white. Thanks for sharing with us at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/08/big-batch-quick-dinner-rolls.html.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...


The only time I have ever seen Pomegranates growing was when I visited Israel. So beautiful and your cut out is amazing! You are so talented.

VeggieMummy said...

Do pomegranates really have 613 seeds? I want to rush out and buy one now to count! Beautiful card. Catherine of Aragon would have approved! xx

Joanne said...

Beautiful card and that red background really makes the pomegranates pop.

Anne said...

I really do love pomegranates, I've never seen them on a tree though. I also didn't know they had 613 seeds, I doubt I will be counting though. Your card is beautiful, you put so much creativity into each cut.

Mandy said...

Beautiful design. Looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

With Love,
Mandy

Sharon Wagner said...

The color contrast is so striking. How much would you charge for a large card, possible book cover? sharonwagnerstudios@gmail.com

Jayne said...

Oh, this is stunning Lisa and I love the coloured background.
I always used to have pomegranates when I visited my nan's house!
Have a lovely weekend. x

chickenruby said...

The pomegranates look like you've cut them into shape so an excellent choice to be inspired for a card also

Cheryl said...

I always love your papercuts. The red behind it makes everything stand out. Perfect. #MMBC

Sum of their Stories said...

Beautiful, I love papercutting, you've inspired me to get the my xacto knife out again!

junieper/Jesh said...

Your pomegranite design is absolutely beautiful, Lisa. And I also love to eat a pomegranite too:) Great to 'see" you back at All Seasons! Enjoy the sun this week, Jesh

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How beautiful! I love Etsy and I'll go see everything in your shop! Enjoy your week.

Shareaholic