Tuesday 10 July 2018

Koolulam at the Tower of David

Photo credit: Tali Raz

The idea of Koolulam is simply to stop everything for a few hours and just sing - together. Koolulam is a social-musical initiative aimed at bringing together people from all corners of Israel's diverse, multi-cultural society. In under an hour, participants learn a three-part arrangement of a Hebrew or English song, and then perform it for a video to be shared on social media.
Back in June I had the opportunity to join in a singalong of Bob Marley's "One Love" at Jerusalem’s Tower of David. It was an amazing experience, notwithstanding that we entered the ancient citadel at five minutes to midnight and didn't return home till around 4.30am!
Koolulam's popularity has soared since it kicked off in Tel Aviv in April 2017, with Israelis jumping at the opportunity to come together  and sing with thousands of strangers. Tickets sell out in minutes and views of the videos reach into the hundreds of thousands. When the tickets became available for the Koolulam event at Migdal David (the Tower of David), I grabbed them with both hands!
Photo credit: Tali Raz
Koolulam was founded by Ben Yefet, Michal Shahaf Shneiderman and Or Taicher. Taicher, a 33-year-old director, screenwriter and social activist, saw a video of worshippers packed into the plaza in front of the Western Wall, praying in unison and fervour on Yom Kippur. It sparked off the idea behind Koolulam: That music and creativity could be used to unite Israelis of all backgrounds, regardless of their political views or affiliations, on a mass scale.
Shneiderman takes credit for the project's catchy name. It’s a play on the English word "cool," the Hebrew word "kulam" (everyone), the Hebrew word "kol" (voice), and "kululu," the ululation sound of joy some Israelis of North African and Middle Eastern descent make at happy occasions like bar mitzvahs and weddings.
Photo credit: Tali Raz

Yefet, a talented music educator and conductor, is the musical engine behind Koolulam. He creates the arrangements for the songs, taught "One Love" to us at Migdal David in about 45 minutes, and then conducted the recording. He was fun, brimming with enthusiasm and bursting with energy. By the end, everyone was jumping up and down and smiling at the people all around them.
"One Love" was recorded on the night of Eid al-Fitr, a holiday marking the end of Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting and introspection. The recording coincided with the Jerusalem visit of Kyai Haji Yahya Cholil Staquf, Secretary General of Indonesia-based Nahdlatul Ulama, the world’s largest Muslim organisation with more than 60 million members. Staquf had seen a Koolulam video and contacted the organisation to say he was coming to Israel and wanted to be part of an interfaith social music event.
We entered the citadel of Migdal David shortly before midnight and were handed lyric sheets and divided into soprano, alto and baritone groups, before spending the next 45 minutes learning our parts.
Now this is probably the time for me to admit that I really can't sing! I loved the idea of participating in a Koolulam performance but was worried about my voice. I was reassured that the whole thing isn't really about the music or quality of the singing. With that many people, you can’t clearly hear one voice. Phew!
Yefet conducted five takes of "One Love", combining 1,000 voices, including my own rather off-key one. We sang in three languages - Arabic, Hebrew and English - along with Jewish, Muslim and Christian groups that took part in the event. The atmosphere was electric!
I must admit that I was, ahem, rather tired the following morning, when I had to be at a school end-of-year ceremony for my youngest son at 10am, but it was so worth it. What could be more exciting than a singalong in such a historic location, in a city where so many people fight for being there, in the middle of the night?
"One Love", Jerusalem, June 2018. A night to remember!

16 comments:

Tom said...

...a wonderful, colorful happening! Thanks for your visit, enjoy your week! 😀

VeggieMummy said...

That sounds like such fun! I'm not surprised that the tickets sell out really quickly. I'm glad that you had such a good time. xx

MummyTravels said...

What a fantastic initiative, I love the way art and music can bring people together. Definitely an experience worth being tired for! Thanks for linking up with #citytripping

Bill said...

Sounds like an unique experience.

Lady Fi said...

Looks like a lot of fun.

Tamar SB said...

So fun!! I knew other people there too!

Claire Justine said...

Looks like a lot of fun here. Lovely photos. Thanks for sharing at The Wednesday Blog Hop, hope to see you again soon.

sara [at] journey of doing said...

How cool is this?!?! What an amazing experience to be a part of... I generally try to avoid crowds, but I think I would find the singing - in any language - so moving. Do you speak all three languages or did you struggle with any of them??

Ruth said...

I love, love to sing! I am not a pro but I think I have good rhythm and can learn songs quickly. I learned to read music when I was in high school and that help. It would be great to attend one of this events. In Puerto Rico, people sing together in parties and gatherings. That is something I miss from my island.

molly said...

Sounds like a a fabulous event

Mollyx

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Looks like great fun!

Debbie said...

Hi Lisa, I just watched the video and it looks like an amazing thing to have been a part of. I actually got goosebumps watching it. At the end of the day, the majority of us just want to get along, regardless of language, religions, skin colour or beliefs. I do hope the day comes when there is peace in Israel and the rest of the world... I also hope that you managed to catch up on your sleep too (bet you were buzzing though).

Thank you for sharing with #keepingitreal

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I've never heard of Koolulam before, but it certainly sounds fun and interesting.

Anne said...

The video is amazing, you can almost feel the energy, joy and love just by watching it, it must have been such a thrilling experience to be there. I'm like you, not a good singer, but there is something about singing along with lots of other people that feels magical. I'm so glad you had this experience and I hope it's something you hold in your heart forever. x

Jayne said...

What an awesome experience Lisa! And one that you will treasure forever. I think events like this that bring people together are brilliant. So glad you had such a fab time :)

Thanks for sharing with #MMBC. x

Unknown said...

Oh what a brilliant idea and what a wonderful experience to be a part of! I love singing and I do believe that music is a great way to bring people together and unite them.

And someone else obviously loved this as much as I did because they chose to share it on the BlogCrush linky so even more people could see it. Congratulations! Feel free to grab your "I've been featured" blog badge :) #blogcrush

Shareaholic