Monday 29 January 2018

Fifteen

I nearly didn't make this card. It was my youngest son's birthday. He turned 15. It seems that 15 year olds have some quite strong opinions (actually he's had those since he was about 2!) and this 15 year old currently doesn't think much about his mum's work. He's not impressed by it. He's going to do something amazing when he starts working and he's not going to sit and make handmade cards all day. Okay.
So I wondered whether to make a special card for his big day, but Mister Handmade in Israel suggested that I might regret not making one. So I did. Handmade birthday cards, documenting each of my family members' hobbies and interests over the years, are of course part of the birthday traditions in our family. I didn't want to skip a year. But I did write a little note inside the card telling my soon-to-be-a-millionaire son that I love making my papercut art and that I am proud of what I do, even if I a not going to make a million from doing it. I wished him a happy birthday and sent hope that he too will find a profession that he first and foremost loves, even though, yes, the bills do need to be paid as well.
It looks like he's pretty happy with his card anyway!
Youngest son loves dogs. His current favourites are Golden Retrievers, so that's what I put on his card. He has his Xiaomi phone in one hand. Behind him is his laptop computer with one of his favourite Instagram pages, The Daily Woof, open on the screen. I also added some sushi (his favourite!) to the card, his Kindle (in spite of it all, he is still an avid reader), and the badges of his two favourite football teams - Ironi Modi'in F.C. and Hull City A. F. C. A big amber coloured number 15, in the same colour as the Hull City club crest, marks his age.
* If you would like to see just some of his previous birthday cards, please click here, here, and here.

** This post has been shared on Seasons, Happiness is Homemade, Amaze Me Monday, Inspiration Monday, Busy Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Mix it up MondayCreative Mondays, Motivate Me Monday, Monday Morning Blog Club, The Good. The Random. The Fun.Made By You MondayInspire Me MondayMake It Pretty MondayInspire Me Monday and The Homemaking Party.

15 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Oh my the teenage years! Been there and done that. Yes I think you should definitely keep making the cards. He'll outgrow this stage eventually. #MMBC

Kim Carberry said...

Ahh! I have a 15 year old. They are hard work. lol
Happy birthday to your son. x #MMBC

Tamar SB said...

Happy birthday to him!! Love the sushi rolls.

Anne said...

At 15 they think they know everything, I'm glad you made him a card, it's really lovely I don't see how he couldn't be pleased with it.
#MMBC

Miss Val's Creations said...

Happy birthday to your young man! The came out great Lisa. You made the right decision making it. :) The cards are full of memories that I am sure you and you family will look back on them many years from now.

handmade by amalia said...

He is sure to look back and treasure it. Happy Birthday.
Amalia
xo

Su-sieee! Mac said...

That's a cool card. He probably would've been disappointed if you hadn't given him a homemade card. And 15, 20, 30, many years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if some of his favorite memories are your birthday cards and you making them. :-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You know that handsome young man is going to keep every card he ever got and they'll go with him wherever he lives as he works on that first million!

Anonymous said...

Wait another 10 years, and he will have come down to earth considerably:):) Great card Lisa! and you are doing excellent in the adult world! Thank you for sharing your son's 15th birthday with us and have a great week!
Had to laugh when you wrote you had only been in Haifa for 24 hrs. Wow the energy you have!

Angie said...

Good for you to proceed ... in my experience, kids grow out of this phase, and often regret it later. So, he will appreciate this later (and probably appreciates it now, even if he doesn't say it out loud!) A blue-ribbon piece of art, as usual!

likeschocolate said...

Teenagers are tricky! My 18 year old thinks he is going to be a millionaire too. I hope he liked the card, and if not, I am sure one day he will appreciate it.

Unknown said...

This is a fantastic card! I think he may be at that age where certain things don't impress him - but he will certainly love it as he gets older. I know I was like that with my mum! #MMBC

Decor To Adore said...

What an amazing work of art you created for your son. Many birthday wishes for happiness for him.

Debbie said...

Hi Lisa, I love your Mum rant and the fact you rose above your son's teenage critique and went ahead and made him a card anyway. And if he looks like he's happy with his card then he probably is over the moon with it (secretly).

xx

Jayne said...

I think it is lovely that you made your son a card. He might not think it is super cool now, but I bet he will treasure it when he is older :)
I hope he had a fab birthday!

Thanks so much for sharing with #MMBC. I hope to see you Monday x

Shareaholic