Sunday 23 September 2018

Love and Marriage

This Saba (the Hebrew word for Grandfather) recently celebrated his birthday. His daughter-in-law asked me to create a card showing Saba and Safta together outside their new holiday apartment in the Mediterranean resort city of Netanya. Saba, she told me, always wears a pale blue cap. I didn't know what their new home looked like so created a white tower block, much like many of the buildings in Netanya, and added a little sign with the city's coat of arms on it.
The couple, below, recently got married. I was asked to make a card for their wedding day showing them standing under a chuppah, the canopy under which a Jewish couple stand during their wedding ceremony. I decorated the chuppah with a few flowers, as they are often decorated, added a heart and also an elephant! The groom apparently proposed to his bride while they were travelling in India, so my customer asked me to include a little elephant somewhere on the card. (Elephants in Hinduism and the Indian Culture are a symbol of intellectual strength, and sturdy earthy mental strength.) The groom is wearing a kippa (skullcap). The Hebrew greeting says "Mazal Tov Yael and Mattaniah."
Finally, this couple recently celebrated their silver wedding, their 25th wedding anniversary. Mum asked me to show them on the card. I added a big silver number 25, some hearts, two champagne glasses and finished the card off with a silver bow.

13 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

You are so creative. I always enjoy looking at the symbols of people's lives.

Powell River Books said...

You make such beautiful cards. Now that fall (and then winter) are here maybe I will have more time to be creative. But with less sunshine we have less power off the grid so the long dark nights are best for reading by flashlight. - Margy

italiafinlandia said...

They are all very pretty!

VeggieMummy said...

More fantastic cards - I particularly like the elephant! xx

Jill Foley said...

Beautifully made

Sim @ Sim's Life said...

Such beautiful cards, you are incredibly talented! Very jealous indeed! :) Sim x #PoCoLo

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I love your interpretations for the three couples. No doubt there were big smiles all around. :-)

junieper/jesh said...

How nice of the daughter in law to have a special card for the grandparents! The elephant is such a cute detail for the wedding card. Love the details for the silver wedding anniversary! Am impressed Lisa, and thank you for sharing with All Seasons these personal details you thought of for all these special days for your customers!

Lydia C. Lee said...

YOu are really clever - these are gorgeous!

handmade by amalia said...

I love seeing all the happy smiles. I read back about all your adventures, great photos and looks like you had fun.
Amalia
xo

Miss Val's Creations said...

They all came out great Lisa!

betty-NZ said...

I so enjoy seeing your creativity in your artwork! It amazes me the things you come up with for your cards. :)

Jayne said...

Beautiful cards Lisa. I love how you personalise your cards and albums with favourite items, hobbies and places. It makes them all the more special to the recipient.

Thanks ever so much for sharing with #MMBC. :)

Shareaholic