Sunday 20 December 2009

Nahal Kinah

After eating rather too many of the delicious Hanukkah latkes and sufganiyot described in my last post, a day out hiking in the fresh air was just what we all needed during the recent holidays. Friends asked us to join them for a ramble in Nahal Kinah, the Kinah Stream, in the southern Judean desert, near the city of Arad, in the south of Israel. On a beautiful winter's day we hiked along the riverbed, among steep cliffs and caves. The waterfalls in the area are dry most of the year round, only when it rains is there water, but then it can run over the falls in torrents, carrying with it stones, rocks and boulders. This action has caused incredible layers to be formed in the rock, very similar to those that we recently saw a little further south, in Mitspe Ramon. The boys were busy with their friends most of the day, and as usual, completed the 8 km walk, and climb, much more speedily than us! However, we all had a wonderful day and, like always, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of a day out in the desert. Though very little work was completed whilst the boys were on holiday from school, apart from a bunch of Christmas cards here and there, it was nice to find my art still getting a little exposure through a number of Etsy Treasuries and blogs. FantasTshirts kindly included my Little Bear Papercut Picture (above, bottom row, on the left) in a sweet collection of child related pieces and then another of my papercut pictures, this time one of my penguins (below, bottom row, on the right), appeared in a lovely winter treasury called 'Purples and Blues', created by Sew Stacy. Many thanks to both ladies for displaying my work.
Etsy Chai, a Jewish community team which promotes Jewish and non-Jewish artists handmade Judaica on Etsy, ran a piece all about the game of dreidel during Hanukkah and illustrated the article with a photo of my Hanukkah cards amongst other Hanukkah related work. Once again it was exciting to see my work there (below).
Whilst the rest of the world is preparing for Christmas, here in Israel we have returned to work, now that our holiday season has ended. I have several exciting projects in hand. See you in a few days when I have yet more to show you.

2 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Your hiking photos look amazing - such a beautiful country!

Unknown said...

Great one Lisa, thanks for reminding me why I fell in love with the Israeli Desert!
I was just thinking of a place to hike now that we have had a bit of rain.. Keep up your posts love your Cards!
Check out my blog , the latest for all mothers

Shareaholic