Monday 20 January 2014

Eleven

This year is the year of the Nerf Gun. I can't say that I love my youngest son's fascination with weapons but, hey, that's what he's currently into, so that's what went on his birthday card! He was supposed to get the said gun from his lovely Aunts and Uncles in the UK but some not-so-lovely person has seemingly stolen it in the mail. That caused a certain amount of disappointment, no less on my part, but... back to the birthday card! 
I have shown my now eleven year old with his new Nerf in hand. The little blue and orange darts, above, are scattered around him and there is a big pile of books, also scattered around, in the background. My son is still a huge reader (see his previous cards here, here and here) and I am very grateful for it. I am not so grateful for the way he treats his books. Unfortunately he does leave them in great piles all around our home, just like I have shown them on his card.
My creative son is also wonderful at drawing. A favourite recent picture was of a Komondor dog - or as he calls it, "The Mop" - whose long, corded coat he drew in great detail. A little Photoshop editing meant that I could add his actual drawing to the card. It is placed on top of the pile of paper in the foreground. A couple of pencils are lying around too.
Have I made it clear that my boy is quite untidy? He is really smart, creative, a little crazy and, yes, chaotic, but we love him all the more for it!
The birthday cake is an integral part of our birthday celebrations. I'd seen the Kit Kat and Smarties cake all over Pinterest. Unfortunately that quantity of imported Kit Kats and Smarties would require me to take out a new mortgage on our home, so I had to get creative. Ladyfingers and Adashim, Israel's not-so-tasty version of the Smarties, provided a good solution and the cake was a great, if very sweet, success!
It's just a pity about that Nerf gun...

1 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

It sounds like your little man got your creative gene! I love seeing kids do art. What is it with boys and weapons? It never changes. LOL. The cake looks amazing and so fun. I get a lot of my cooking ideas of Pinterest.

Shareaholic