Monday 21 October 2024

Two Cards for Mum's 80th

A customer asked me to make two cards for her mum's 80th birthday back in May. She sent me a recent photo of her mum and told me that she likes to knit, do crosswords and play Kalooki.
Showing mum knitting was easy. I added a newspaper with a crossword puzzle on it and a tiny pencil. I had to look up Kalooki  but soon learnt that it is a card game popularly played in Jamaica. It is sometimes called Jamaican Rummy. I printed out a tiny Kalooki score sheet and some playing cards. A big yellow number 80 marks mum's age.
My customer wanted me to show her children on the second card. Once again she sent me a recent photo and I was able to create a likeness of them all, carefully copying all the details, from the girls' dresses to the colour of the boys' belts!
"Thanks to my amazingly talented friend Lisa Isaacs for making these wonderful birthday cards for my mum's 80th." my customer wrote on Facebook. "She [mum] loved them."  
* This post has been shared on The Good. The Random. The Fun.
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

8 comments:

Catherine said...

I am in awe of how you manage to include so many minute details in your cards - the newspaper and the score sheet are amazing!

#MMBC

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Your customization of cards is inspiring. I love the 2 colorful cards for Mum (grandmom).

Kim Carberry said...

These cards are great. I love that there is one all about her and another with family. x

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

80 is a very special birthday and both cards you made will be wonderful keepsakes!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Lisa, how great are these cards?! So much happiness you have captured, they are lovely. #MMBC

Joanne said...

They are fabulous! I'll have to look into/look up that card game. We love rummy and that sounds like a fun new twist on the game.

VeggieMummy said...

Kalooki is a new one for me too. I'll have to look up the rules and introduce it into our games' night. Brilliant cards with your trademark attention to detail. xx

hels said...

Excellent.
Are the boys wearing kippot? What a lovely touch.