Sunday, 5 July 2026

Hila 25

Hila, my eldest son's girlfriend, turned 25 at the end of June. She has been part of our family for some time now and receives one of my handmade cards each year. Last year's birthday card featured her family's dogs, Toffee and Archie, quite prominently. The year before, I illustrated her and Nadav at a cooking workshop in the Vietnamese city of Hội An.
This year, Nadav sent me this brilliant photo of Hila and Toro, the rescue pup they adopted last year, below. It was taken in the open spaces of Kibbutz Ramot Menashe, where Hila grew up, and the two of them look like they're having a wonderful time together. It's quite amazing how high Toro can jump!
Nadav hoped a card based on this photo would be a memorable one for her.
I nearly always sketch my cards first, and this time the sketch is worth sharing. I wanted to preserve the natural background of the original photo while still making Hila and Toro the focal point. You can't see Toro's face on my card, but you can see just how much energy he has!
I added a large number 25 to mark Hila's age, and the Hebrew greeting simply reads, "Happy Birthday Hila".
I've also included one final, slightly gratuitous, photo of Toro at the bottom of this post - this time showing his face - because it would be unfair not to let everyone appreciate just how handsome he is ☺

23 comments:

jabblog said...

That really captures Toro's youth and energy. He really is a most handsome boy.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Lisa,
You created a wonderful birthday card for Hila! I love the dogs.
Toro's photo in the field of flowers is a lovely photo.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

EricaSta said...

Happy Birthday 🎂 to Hila too.

Thank you! ...also on behalf of my dear husband, who was delighted to receive the congratulations.

And thank you once again for your wonderful contribution to MosaicMonday this week.

Greetings by Heidrun ❤️

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Happy Birthday to Hila! This is an awesome design, and know she'll cherish it for years to come.. The way you superimposed the collaged figures over the background, and the dog seems to be jumping out of the card, make it so lively. Your hand lettering gave it an extra personal touch too. Shalom!

hels said...

I am glad you included the natural kibbutz background in the card. It makes the relationship between Hila and Toro look sporty, full of fresh air and green freshness, and mutually trusting.

Shiju Sugunan said...

What a wonderful, lively card! Happy 25th Birthday to Hila!

Life Images by Jill,, West Australia said...

she obviously loves the hand-made card. You are so clever! Enjoy your week. Take care.

Ruth said...

Such a beautiful, thoughtful card! I love the energy you’ve captured with Hila and Toro.

Kim Carberry said...

Happy birthday to Hila! That is a fantastic card and yes, Toro really can jump!

Carol On The Lake said...

Amazing photo which is now displayed in your artistic birthday day. Wonderful! #MMBC

Laura @ Our Grand Lives said...

What a special way to celebrate Hila every year! I'm sure she looks forward to your annual birthday cards! You really captured the joy and exuberance of both Hila and Toro. He is a handsome pup and I love his white tail!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

It was fun to see a bit of how you get the basics completed. From there I know it all comes from the heart! It turned out wonderful, a real match for her smile!

VeggieMummy said...

He is indeed very handsome! What a lovely card for a lovely girl, and it is fascinating to learn more about your design process. I am very envious of their cookery workshop in Hoi An - sadly, we didn't have the time to squeeze one of those in. xx

Joanne said...

That is a beautiful card! I love seeing your sketch and how you design your cards.

Veronica Lee said...

Such a thoughtful way to celebrate Hila’s milestone birthday.
The card really shows the joy she shares with Toro, and the kibbutz background adds so much life to the design.
A keepsake she’ll treasure always.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It's always fun to see your new cards. I enjoyed seeing how you sketch it our first. I always wondered if you use a machine of some sort or an app

Handmade in Israel said...

Judee, my cards and pictures are all drawn and cut by hand. No machines involved!

nicole orriens said...

Oh wow! I'm so impressed how you managed to turn a photo into paper!!!

Amy Johnson said...

Such a wonderful, sweet card!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Such a darling car. You nailed it! You are so creative. I am happy to feature your fun card at Love Your Creativity.

Jayne said...

Happy belated birthday to Hila! I hope she had a fab day. Beautiful card to mark the occasion. xx

Lalka Crochetka said...

beautiful card <3 you have magic skills!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

It was great to see your sketch. This is another amazing card. I love the dynamics and the energy. Toro sure is handsome. A belated very happy birthday to Hila.

-Soma