The exhibition was curated by Ya'ara Sachs, who was also behind the groundbreaking Pop-Up Museum TLV, among other projects. As explained in one of the wall texts, the exhibition's title, "The Spark", refers to that very moment when the spark is lit - the force that drives artists and individuals to keep creating, dreaming, and illuminating their surroundings, even in times of personal and collective crisis. It was Sachs's final exhibition in Israel before opening her first international show abroad.
The exhibition is being held in the former Tara factory in Tel Aviv's central business district, once home to one of Israel's best-known dairy companies. Over time, as the dairy industry moved out of central Tel Aviv to other locations, the original factory land became highly valuable for redevelopment.
Before the site is redeveloped into large-scale residential and office towers, dozens of artists have transformed 43 rooms and office spaces into a multi-room immersive art experience. Each room reflects an artist's personal "spark". The result is a rich, colourful journey through video art, installations, sculpture and sound.
Rooms were filled with animals, knives floating in space, and areas packed with hands and furry creatures. There were giant flowers made from pipe cleaners, a music machine powered by a compressor and a party blower, a childhood room seen from a unique angle, a giant aquarium, and a large, ominous block suspended in the air. A personal favourite was Shelly Picha's room, above, where she transformed words, names, and prayers into a calligraphic space of memory and healing.
Rotem Michaeli's "Planted Here" was a soft, colourful space built from pipe cleaners. Tall flowers swayed in a gentle breeze, their constant movement highlighting the fragility of life and reality - in Israel, always, and especially today. The room offered a quiet hope that even what seems fragile and delicate is capable of blooming. It was created in memory of the artist's sister.This room made my friend and me stop for a moment. At first glance, it seemed to tell a story of pain, of hostages, and of war. But the shadow on the wall revealed a shift - when struggle turns into hope, and hope becomes reality. We left feeling a little more hopeful.
Caroline Attoun's work reflected on how reading sparks her imagination. When she feels uninspired, she turns to books, where even a small detail - a minor character or a single sentence - can suddenly ignite new ideas. For her, reading opens up space for imagination, allowing a whole world to form beyond the written words. The work captured that moment of "falling into" a book, when text and imagination meet and creativity begins.
Studio Plan B (Maya and Max Gat-Mor) created an installation composed of sharp metal knives, suspended in a precise and harmonious structure. "Hanging by a Thread" was created after 7th October and it explored the fragile line between constant danger and moments of calm and beauty.
Sapir Ashkenazi’s room reflected on her teenage years, when she often felt caught between loneliness and connection, and between uncertainty and belonging. To calm herself, she would go to the University Railway Station and watch Tel Aviv's city skyline, mesmerised by the glowing buildings and the sense of something larger than herself.
Kobi Osher's "Through the Fracture" used concrete as a central material. A massive, cracked block appeared to float in space. From within the cracks burst light and richness - symbols of creation, life, and small moments of hope. The piece was clearly a metaphor for the weight and pressure we create in our own minds, which in truth carry no real mass.
Kobi Osher's "Through the Fracture" used concrete as a central material. A massive, cracked block appeared to float in space. From within the cracks burst light and richness - symbols of creation, life, and small moments of hope. The piece was clearly a metaphor for the weight and pressure we create in our own minds, which in truth carry no real mass.
Another favourite of mine, perhaps because they used paper, were Natalia Volkov's figures of animals native to Israel. They were built from photographs of everyday moments and familiar Israeli landscapes that inspire her. These ordinary moments of architecture and daily life were transformed into living forms, reflecting both the fragility and resilience of Israel's landscapes and the rhythm of life within them.
A number of artworks were displayed in the factory's courtyard. Anna Kogan created an anamorphic sculpture from everyday objects, which from a single viewpoint revealed a portrait of Elon Musk. The sculpture evoked his childhood room in South Africa, where he found refuge in science fiction books, comics, computer games, and encyclopaedias. From those worlds of imagination, a spark emerged - one that turned the boy into a man who dreamed of leading humanity to other planets. As we moved around the piece, the image constantly shifted, showing how perspective changes everything: what seemed ordinary or broken revealed something entirely new. It was a powerful play on perspective, imagination, and inspiration.
Finally, Elad Elyakim's piece "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life" used an eight-metre-high lift shaft in the old Tara factory. The large-scale work featured white Hebrew typography on a black background, with letters intersecting and intertwining to fill the entire surface. It continued Elyakim's practice of giving discarded spaces and objects new life through painted words and letters.
"The Spark" is a moving and thought-provoking exhibition that I really enjoyed. The works show how inspiration can come even in a difficult and complex reality, and I connected with many of the pieces, which were both interesting and thought-provoking.
It seems that sometimes, all it takes to keep going is one small spark.
It seems that sometimes, all it takes to keep going is one small spark.
* This post has been shared on Mosaic Monday, Monday Morning Blog Club, Busy Monday, Talking About It Tuesdays and Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop.






























32 comments:
What a fascinating show/exhibition. I love how all the artists interpreted the theme so differently. And the three dimensional vitality everyone brought to the table with such varied media. The colored light show ---so fascinating. Really a great treat to see your post, Thanks so much, Sandi
I felt like I was walking through the exhibition right beside you! You brought each artist's vision to life so well. It made me wonder, if you had been handed the keys to one of those Tara factory rooms, what kind of paper or craft installation would you have built to show your own spark?
I am sure that this is an exhibit that we would all have enjoyed - and benefitted from. There was much to challenge all our senses, and to employ our powers of discernment and interpretation to the fullest. Art is always a welcome distraction to the harsh realities of life and we find solace in our own way. Best wishes - David
...Lisa, thanks for taking me along to see Spark, there is something for every taste. Enjoy your week,
What a fantastic exhibition! There were so many interesting things to see and think about. Brilliant photos!
That is a fascinating and thought-provoking exhibition.
I am very glad the former office building in Tel Aviv’s Yigal Alon district did not go to waste. In fact someone had a good idea changing the space into an art experience. In particular, the animals native to Israel are cleverly created - from photographs of everyday moments and from familiar landscapes.
But the office spaces and meeting rooms are very small and each is dedicated to one small theme. If the participants hear a siren underground, is there a Safe Space allocated for them all?
Hels, I remember seeing signs for the miklat – the bomb shelter. Fortunately, no sirens went off when I visited, but if they had, I would simply have followed the signs and gone there. Not every room in the old factory is a safe space.
Thank you so much! What a lovely thought. I think I’d have to create something with layers and lots of intricate paper cutting — definitely my own kind of spark!
Looks like a cool place! I wonder if it will still be open the next time I visit.
Dara, I’ve just checked again, and The Spark is currently scheduled to finish on 31 August 2026.
Spark is a great name for the exhibit. I love the flower room and the critters. Take care, have a wonderful day and a great week ahead.
With all the bad stuff in the world, we all need more Hope and Kindness. Looks like a great exhibit. #MMBC
You really brought this exhibit to life, Lisa, creating a "spark" within as I read your descriptions and looked closely at your amazing photos! What an amazing exhibition to view in person! The variety of materials, colors, style and topic brought so much depth to it all! Thanks for taking us with you!
Reading your first sentence about the reality of the exhibition being closed due to the war, breaks my heart. This wondrous art exhibit is a beam of light. I love the contrasts between the feelings of distress and hope, as well as the various use of media and style. I love calligraphy, so I found the pieces with the Hebrew characters especially fascinating. Shalom, my friend!
OH wow! Such amazing creativity. I love immersive art installations like that.
The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, I also totally loved Shelly Picha's calligraphic space!
Well worth the wait. What an amazing exhibit.
Thank you for taking us with you to this exhibition. You brought everything to life with your beautiful descriptions. I particularly like the goat, and the Elon Musk exhibit is amazing. Not sure that I'd like to stand under those knives though! :O) xx
Exhibits like this are always fascinating and make one think and ponder. The floating knives were chilling as was the cracked cube.
I liked the photos turned into animals sculpture, and the young girls city scape.
I'm not a fan of Elon Musk and would have passed that one by quickly. The budget cuts he advocated during htis administration's first months as an "advisor" in America were cruel to many.
Art is truly amazing. One person can see one interoperation and the next sees it differently and another sees both! Your images were wonderful to see. Thank you for sharing!
Visiting from Monday Morning Blog Club.
All the best.
Debra @ Life Captured
Wow, what a brilliant exhibit. I felt like I was there in person. Thanks so much for sharing!
It's so beautiful! My favorite are those flowers!
Oh my, so very thought provoking! I love the photograph sculptures!
This is a fascinating exhibition. Thank you so much for sharing this. 😊
Thanks for taking me there. So many beautiful ideas, Lisa xx
A remarkable exhibition. Such a variety of different styles and methods, and so unusual. Thanks for posting this.
I'm late to answering this week...
...thank you for sharing at MosaicMonday
Greetings by Heidrun ❤️
What a fab exhibition, Lisa! So many wonderful pieces to look at. I love the paper animals. I bet you came away with your own creative spark after wandering around here. 😊 xx
so much amazing artwork. The dog is marvellous, and the one with the rubbish bags is ... interesting!
sherry
What a spectacular exhibition. Glad you didn't miss that one. I enjoyed seeing all your photos!! Thanks for sharing them.
What an amazing exhibition!
Post a Comment