Sunday, 2 August 2026

Yoga, Books and Baseball

Just a few weeks after Polly celebrated her 60th birthday, her husband reached the milestone of 70. She wanted to give him one of my cards too, one that brought together all the things he loves.
The themes she requested were yoga, baseball (especially the Mets), and piles of books. The books had to reflect his wonderfully varied interests: genocide, the Hebrew Bible (Tanach), and sports statistics. Quite the eclectic reading list! 
Polly sent me some photos of her husband Marc to use as reference. I asked whether I should show him wearing the hat that appeared in every photo, to which she replied, "Yes!" Apparently, he bought it in Australia and wears it all the time.
My card shows Marc wearing his favourite Australian bush hat and sitting cross-legged in the Lotus Pose (Padmasana), the most famous yoga position. It is a traditional meditation posture where each foot is placed on the opposite thigh, with the soles facing upwards. One hand is shown in the chin mudra yogic hand gesture, which is believed to instil wisdom, improve concentration, calm the nervous system, and lift dull energy. The gesture is formed by touching the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger to create a circle, while keeping the remaining three fingers extended.
In Marc's other hand, he is holding a pile of books titled with the subjects requested by his wife. I added the Mets logo to the card, along with a big orange number 70 to mark his milestone birthday.
Polly told me that Marc loved his card. "Thank you Lisa for yet another amazing card!" she wrote.

30 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Lisa,
Another beautiful birthday card. Happy Birthday to Marc.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

jabblog said...

That is just splendid. You've captured all the elements perfectly. I'm sitting here practising the 'chin mudra' gesture now!

Tom said...

...happy birthday young fellow, my white beard is a bit longer than yours!

hels said...

Most Australian men of a certain age wear an akubra hat. It suits Marc well.

EricaSta said...

Welcome in the Club of the 70th. Yes, I have this in few months too...
...gratulations, health and lucky years ahead.

Thank you for sharing at MosaicMonday

Greetings by Heidrun ❤️

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

A fantastic, lovely card! Happy Birthday, Marc! I will be 70 in October! :)
Hi Lisa, thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog, I really appreciate you. Yes, I do love cats. I love all animals, actually! I put the cat photos on my blog because so many of my followers and commenters love them! :)
I hope you have a lovely week ahead! I love your artistic talent. :)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I loved seeing the progression of the card as you made it. A special card for a special birthday!

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I LOVE it! This is such a special card. I love the whimsical yoga pose and how you were able to incorporate even the titles of his favorite books and genres. From the look on his face, I know that Polly's husband did too. Thank you for the blessed words you left on my blog and Shalom!

Rainbow Evening said...

creative design as always....
Happy Birthday to Marc.

Veronica Lee said...

What a brilliant way to celebrate Marc’s milestone!
The lotus pose, Mets logo, and those books make it feel so personal.
I can just picture him smiling with that hat on.
Beautifully done.

VeggieMummy said...

Another wonderful card. I agree, that is quite a reading list! :O) Like Jabblog, I'm also now sitting here practising the 'chin mudra' gesture! xx

Shiju Sugunan said...

Absolutely fantastic work! You nailed every personal detail. Happy 70th to Marc!

Kim Carberry said...

That is a fantastic card and I love how you included all of his interests and the yoga pose.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great job, Lisa. I can see that it is going to be an essential requirement in Israel that every significant event needs to be celebrated with one of your cards! It will be a mark of prestige! Best wishes - David

Sami said...

Thanks for visiting my blog :) Your cards are fantastic Lisa! Happy belated birthday to your friend David.

Carol On The Lake said...

Another amazing job, Lisa. You certainly captured him perfectly. #MMBC

Ruth said...

What a wonderful personalised card! I love how you included so many thoughtful details that reflect Marc's interests. The Australian hat made me smile! Such a special keepsake for a milestone birthday.

Joanne said...

I absolutely love the yoga pose! What a fun card.

Laura @ Our Grand Lives said...

I think what I love most about your work is your attention to the details - capturing each subject and their passions. Each person seems to come to life through your work! How fun that the husband and wife have complimentary artwork by Lisa to enjoy!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Lisa, that card is as happy at Marc is! No doubt he had a wonderful celebration of his 70th year.

LIfe Images by Jill, West Australia said...

the smile says it all - he enjoyed his birthday card. Have a great week. And thankyou for visiting my blog this week.

nicole orriens said...

I love the way you integrated both hobbies in the card! Well done.

Amy Johnson said...

What a fun card! Love the yoga pose.

CraftAtticResources said...

What a beautiful way to remember the day.

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

Looks just like him!

Jayne said...

Another brilliant card, Lisa. You've captured all of Marc's interests perfectly, and I love the yoga pose! 🧘🏼‍♀️ xx

Stephanie said...

Such a creative and fun design! Lisa, I just love your cards. 🤗

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It's always amazing to me the way you capture the honorees' personalities as well as appearance. But this one is a real triumph. This gentleman has such varied interests and you included them all so perfectly. (I'm quite impressed also with his yoga -- I used to practice it, but now alas the Mudra is about the only pose I do regularly.)

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Love this card! I love yoga and books too!

Sherry's Pickings said...

a wonderful card! and i love that he is wearing an Akruba hat!