Thursday 10 November 2011

Acre

Back in October I promised you a second blog post about our week of travel around Israel. Here it is - sorry for the delay! We had an incredible day out in Acre - or Akko as it is known in Hebrew and Arabic - a city in Northern Israel and one of the oldest continuously inhabited sites in the country. Acre's Old City has been designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. Since the 1990s, large-scale archaeological excavations have been undertaken and there is a fascinating historical site around every corner. I took many, many photos on the day we visited...
Acre was an important northern city in ancient times. Various cultures made their home there. The Crusaders captured it and the Ottomans lived there for many centuries. Even Napoleon Bonaparte tried to lay his hands on Acre and conquer it, but after two months of siege and failed attempts to storm the city’s walls, he retreated in humiliation.
Acre's conquerors left behind a city of high-walled alleys and underground passages, the huge Jezzar Pasha Mosque and beautifully restored Turkish Baths. The walls of the city, its fortress and citadel, tell the history of the many rulers who governed it and fought for it.
We spent the first part of the day exploring the Hospitaller Fortress, wandering through the enormous stone rooms and large open courtyard. Afterwards we took a stroll through the Templars Tunnel, a 350-metre long tunnel leading from the fortress to the city port. As you walk, you can hear the sea above and around you.
The aforementioned Turkish Bath House, to me one of the most beautiful and fascinating sites in the Old City, is perfectly preserved. Colourful tiled walls cover the space where important men came to steam their troubles away. The 1780 bath house, built by al-Jezzar, the notorious Turkish governor who ruled Acre from 1775-1804, remained in use until the 1940s. I learnt that it was much more than a religious purification house. The Baths served as a social centre where people met for rest, entertainment and banquets. They were a meeting place for doctors and barbers and served as a house of luxury for the wealthy and prominent, as well as for the common people of the city. This was where they talked, gossiped, laughed and philosophized.
We wandered through the Old City market, though I was rather too pre-occupied with keeping an eye on my kids to really appreciate it. The market, I had read, is perfectly safe by day, but it still somehow felt a little threatening. Emerging from the crowded streets, Acre's marina allowed us some fresh air and sea breeze. We were tempted by the vendor selling sweet but sharp pomegranate juice, squeezed as we waited in line.
There are hummus and falafel places all over the city. Friends had already advised us where to eat and we were not disappointed. I made my kids wait a moment before they dived into the hot, fried falafel balls so that I could take a photo of the scrumptious dish!
Frankly there was almost too much to see in the area that day. Not far away from the city is a beautifully manicured Bahai Garden, built by members of the Bahai religion in Israel. We ran out of time to see it and anyway these things shouldn't be rushed. I must not forget that I am lucky enough to live in this fascinating country. We can go back and visit another day.

6 comments:

Mutlu Eller said...

Turkish Bath Hause, I like it:)Yes, you`re right about Turkish Bath(hamam).
I enjoy with your beautiful Photos!

Cara said...

Greetings from NJ! Lovely photos, Lisa and I love the history you provided too!
Cara

Meeling said...

Lovely photos and that plate of food is making me hungry!!

Sounds like a wonderful journey visiting all these places.

ps...make sure you pop by I have a lovely giveaway going on. :-)

Unknown said...

I love Akko! Especially the market! We visited Akko several times but I don't think we ever saw the tunnel. At least I don't remember it :) Something else to add to my list :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lisa, it looks beautiful. Great photos and commentary - I feel like I've learnt a bit today,
Thank you for sharing!

Jill said...

Lovely to see and learn a little about Israel! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Shareaholic