Saturday 18 October 2008

All the Eights

We are currently celebrating the holiday of Sukkot, or Feast of Tabernacles, here in Israel. It is a 7-day holiday, with the first day celebrated as a full festival with special prayer services and holiday meals and the remaining days known as Chol HaMoed ("festival weekdays"). My husband has had the week off work and we have been busy as a family going on some lovely day trips. However, crafting and card-making is always in the background and I have created a few custom orders during the periods that we have been at home. Yesterday we hiked up to the top of Masada, the site of an ancient fortress on top of an isolated rock plateau on the eastern edge of the Judean Desert, overlooking the Dead Sea. My mobile phone rang as I reached the top and a friend wanted to give me an order for a card for her daughter's birthday! I had to suggest that she may be better off sending me an e-mail with all the details as I didn't have a pen at hand! The card has been created today, now that my legs have had a little rest, and above, on the left you can see a ballet themed card for an eight year old dancer, and on the right a separate order for an eighteenth birthday card, in Hebrew, for a girl who loves floaty dresses and loves to drive.
Masada: Desert Fortress overlooking the Dead Sea

4 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Masada looks like a beautiful spot! Hope you enjoy your week off. Love your latest cards - they are brilliant as always!!

Jenny said...

Art I say! Art, not just cards!

You seem so far away from me when you talk about civilisations and cultures that stretch back into the past. Australian 'European' occupation has only been a reality for just over 200 years. Then you are in the realms of native Aboriginal culture but they were largely nomadic people who tended not to build so 'old buildings' have a very different spin around here - Jen

LizzieJane said...

Masada looks so incredible, I would love to go there. The new cards are just so lovely, you come up with such lovely designs.
Kathy
x

Anonymous said...

these cards are so lovely, I love the spotlight behind the ballerina.

Shareaholic