Monday 7 February 2011

Black and White

I LOVE colour. Cherry reds, sunny yellows and brilliant blues excite me and I'm pretty sure that it shines through in my designs. The brighter the better - that's what I say! So what happened here then? No, your computer monitor is not faulty. Everything is fine. I was simply asked to create a very special 50th birthday card. The birthday girl was going to have a Twenties style black tie party and everyone was asked to come dressed in black and white. So, the brief was clear and I am always up for a challenge! A black and white card it had to be!
Funnily enough, it was not at all hard for me to break away from my 'normal' style to embrace this particular theme. I was already familiar with the fashions of the day and immediately knew that I wanted the card to picture a flapper girl. Who doesn't love the way they dressed? I also picked out a few of the designs of the day - the Art Deco jewellery and the more 'modern' graphics which broke with tradition - all the time working in a palette of black and white and a few shades of grey along the way. The card was finished off nicely with an Art Deco style font for the number 50, which sat beautifully under our flapper girl's hat feather.
I LOVED creating this card, even if there wasn't a spot of bright colour on it, and the person who ordered it wrote to tell me that it was a "fab card". I definitely see more monochrome designs in my future work...

3 comments:

Meeling said...

Looks great Lisa....very classy!

LizzieJane said...

You captured what was asked for in this card beautifully Lisa. I am sure the recipient was very pleased.
x

Bela said...

It looks so beautiful, Lisa!! I love it! Different, unique!
One more great job!Love! Bela

Shareaholic