Monday 21 February 2011

Kakadu

A few weeks ago I decided to pay a visit to the Kakadu studio at Moshav Zafririm on the outskirts of Jerusalem. Kakadu is an Israeli company which creates handmade wooden art accessories for the home and was started in 1990 by the husband and wife carpenter and artist team, Aharon and Reut Shahar. I have long been an admirer of their work and am lucky enough to even have a couple of pieces around the house. It's easy to tell why I love their work so much - the bright colours and bold designs really appeal to me, though I do appreciate some of their more muted pieces too.
Kakadu creations include placemats, trays, mirrors, vases, cushions and more. Their incredible wooden carpets are breathtaking as floor coverings or wall hangings. Each of their pieces is lacquered to perfection for water resistance and durability, but frankly I find it hard to walk all over those gorgeous carpets anyway!
Workshops are offered at the studio and I'd really love to participate in one at some point.
If you are in Israel but can’t make it out to Moshav Zafririm, then you can also see their pieces in shops in Jerusalem. Franchise shops can be found in the USA and Canada.

* A Kakadu is a white parrot that is sacred to the Aborigine people of Australia.

3 comments:

Meeling said...

Interesting post...I like learning about new things. I too like the bright colors of their work...very cheery looking!

Mechelle said...

Thanks for sharing there art!

Linda B said...

Lisa, the art is so beautiful and bright.

Shareaholic