Sunday 8 May 2011

Shalom

Some of you may well remember this post from last year, when I was given the opportunity to participate in a fantastic paper cutting workshop held by Zipora Neeman. Well, Zipora was back in Modi'in again for another Limmud conference and this year she expected me to be there and decided to take the class to the next level since I had already completed stage one!
Once again we started off with a basic template on which we could base our designs but this year, rather then cutting out half of a symmetrical design, we were to work within the oval frame that Zipora had drawn and come up with an asymmetrical design of our own. The Hebrew letters spelling out the word שלום or Shalom, meaning Peace were already sketched inside the frame.
Zipora advised us to keep the design simple and showed us how the flowers, branches and bird - or whatever we chose to illustrate - had to link up at some point. While other participants in the workshop created some very intricate designs, I kept mine relatively simple and bold so that I could easily cope with the cutting. The end result was pleasing, if a little rough around the edges, mainly because the class was coming to an end and I needed to finish off! However, from a distance it looks great and once again I was reminded how simple yet effective paper cutting can be. I MUST create some more and soon!
Tonight is the start of Yom Hazikaron, Israel's Memorial Day which, at nightfall tomorrow evening, is followed by Yom Ha'atzmaut, Independence Day.  Though the switch from a day of such sadness to a day of festivities is hard, its roots come from the Jewish tradition recognizing joy in times of sadness and sadness in times of joy. Additionally, Israelis owe their independence - the very existence of the state - to the soldiers who sacrificed their lives for it.
This blue and white papercut, in similar colours to those of the Israeli flag, pronounces 'Shalom' to us all. On that note, I would like to wish my fellow Israelis and Jews around the world a very happy and peaceful Independence Day. Enjoy the celebrations!

3 comments:

creativejewishmom/sara said...

very nice Lisa! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, great to see you!

Meeling said...

Very cool!!
The only paper cutting I think I've ever done is paper snowflakes back in grade school!! ;-)

Hope you have a great week!

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

I love that bird -- your design is wonderful!

Shareaholic