Sunday 14 August 2011

A Bar Mitzvah, a Birthday... and Bouncing on a Trampoline

We are having a terrific summer! In fact, such a terrific summer that I have been far too busy to download my most recent photos from our few days at the Kinneret (Sea of Galilee). I promise to blog all about it soon but in the meantime I have a few cards to show you from recent orders I have completed in between all the fun.
'Aaron' recently came to Israel to celebrate his Bar Mitzvah at The Western Wall (HaKotel HaMa'aravi), the remaining part of the ancient wall that surrounded the Jewish Temple's courtyard and one of the most sacred sites in Judaism. My customer asked me to make a card for him that included the wall as the main theme.
I sourced a photo that showed men praying at the wall and put the Bar Mitzvah boy in the foreground, reading from a Torah scroll (a handwritten copy of the Torah, the holiest book within Judaism). He is wearing his kippa and tallit, which many boys begin wearing from the age of Bar Mitzvah. I was told that Aaron is quite tall and has dark hair. I hope this little illustration looked like him in some small way.
A short while ago this guy, above, celebrated a birthday and his Mum, who had recently been on the receiving end of one my cards, got in touch with me and asked me to this time make a card for her son. He manages a shop that sells orthopedic equipment and so I added a knee brace, inner soles and a foot bandage to the picture. Certainly one of the more unusual requests that I have received! His Mum also said that he is a handy guy, thus the hammer, screwdriver and spanner. I do hope that he liked his card.
Funnily enough a few days after making the birthday card above, I received another order from the same family, this time Mum-in-law! She had also seen my cards and wanted to know if I could make something for her daughter and son-in-law's wedding anniversary. She liked a particular card that I had made before showing two young girls bouncing on trampoline but, for this card, asked me to replace the girls with the anniversary couple. Not a problem. My new customer seemed very happy with the design and sent me an e-mail telling me that she thought the card "delightful". I hope it made the couple happy too.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

like the trampoline!

Shareaholic