Thursday 27 December 2012

Paper Portraits

A customer recently asked me to make a 40th birthday card for her friend, Fiona. This particular customer knows how I work and e-mailed me a couple of snaps of her friend, along with a list of her hobbies. She told me that Fiona normally wears a bandanna, with some of her blond hair showing. She is a doctor, and at the moment is into cycling, as well as being a big iPod/iPad fan. Fiona also loves the deal-of-the-day website, Groupon and is always getting great deals on purchases. Finally, I was told that she enjoys exotic overseas travel and has been to China, Russia and Thailand on cruises and by air. Lucky girl!
Though there was a lot to work with, it was relatively easy to incorporate all of those hobbies and interests. I showed Fiona in her white doctors coat, with a stethoscope around her neck. Her hair is partly covered by a bandanna and her hands are full with her iPod and iPad!
In the background I added the Groupon logo, a bicycle helmet and, to illustrate her passion for travel, I crafted some palm trees, a big yellow sun with a plane passing over it, and an ocean liner to cover those cruises! Finally I added a big red number 40 to mark her special birthday.
A couple of weeks later my customer let me know that the card had been very well received. The birthday girl, and her family, really liked it!
Back in July I made a birthday card for a baseball fan from his then-fiance. It seems that the card was very well received because I was subsequently asked to make some 'Thank You' cards for the newly married couple's parents after their wedding.
This first card, above, was for the parents of the bride. Her Dad collects coins, and enjoys playing basketball, and watching baseball - The Boston Red Sox - and football - the New England Patriots. Mum loves to cook, enjoys reading and is very involved in Jewish leadership at her synagogue.
I think I got all of their hobbies and interests on there!
The second card, above, was for the groom's father. His interests include computers, photography and playing a little poker. I popped a laptop computer onto the card, along with a camera and some photography equipment. Finally I added some playing cards and some poker chips.
I hope they all enjoyed seeing themselves crafted out of paper!

4 comments:

Josh in Boston said...

Lisa, as always it was a pleasure to work with you. The end result is a reflection of the care you take in your work, and we will be coming back for even more cards!

Thanks so much,
- Josh and Rachel
Boston, MA

Julie S said...

I love how your cards always tell so much about the recipient and have such great stories attached to them. Nicely done yet again.

fabriquefantastique said...

I don't know how you pack all that information in and still make the cards neat and sparkling.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love these! I love in the part of the US where everyone is obsessed with the Patriots and Red Sox! Groupon is such a cool money saving website.

Shareaholic