Monday 21 September 2015

A sewing machine and a red pickup truck

My customer needed a card for her Ma's birthday. She picked out this card from my blog but asked me to change "Mom" to "Ma", since that's what they use in South Africa. "Savta" is the Hebrew word for Grandmother.
"Ma" is a therapist. Her daughter says that she has helped and touched many people's lives, and that her profession is integral to who she is. She described her sitting in a chair when she does therapy and asked me if I could possibly illustrate her redheaded Ma that way.
Ma also enjoys playing Bridge, and is a huge reader. A sewing machine, or anything showing sewing/dress design, was also requested, as were ballet shoes, cricket, and a sign saying Krugersdorp (which I now know is a mining city in South Africa). There was a LOT to fit on the card!
"Oh Lisa! You've done a fantastic job!" my customer wrote when she saw the card. "[You've] captured her so well! Thank you!"
Brendan, below, was turning 50. The same customer sent me another long list of things that he likes or are meaningful to him. This included the U.S. Army Reserve, the fantasy tabletop role-playing game Dungeons and Dragons, peanut butter and jelly, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, oh, and a red pickup truck! My customer also wanted me to create a picture of a hare on top of a pie (um, a private joke), add something to do with him being a dad, and the fact that he works in IT. Finally, she told me, Brendan is a very picky eater, but she wasn't sure how to illustrate that. I suggested a red warning sign with some fruit and vegetables behind it.
I am not going to lie. These cards took me a looooong time to create! However, the feedback I received from my customer on my Facebook business page made it all worthwhile.
"Thank you so much for making the most wonderful birthday cards for my mom and boyfriend! They are absolutely wonderful and totally captures their likeness (no clue how you do that!) and lives so well. Thank you so much! Your work is fantastic!!!"

3 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

You did an amazing job with the details Lisa! I can see how each would have take a long time to create!

TexWisGirl said...

you really did exceptionally well in capturing all their likes (and dislikes). so cute.

eclectichomelife said...

What clever cards you have made, so full of detail, I bet they were delighted

Shareaholic