Sunday 6 September 2015

Saba, Sue, and Arsenal too

Saba (the Hebrew word for Grandfather) was soon to be celebrating his 80th birthday. Back in 2011 I made a card for his wife for her special day. This time my customer wanted a card along the same theme, but with the birthday boy surrounded by their 5 grandchildren. She also requested a number 80 and thought that, as a West Ham United fan, Saba might appreciate the team's colours of claret and pale blue on the card. My customer also sent me some photos of the grandchildren, as well as a photo of Saba, to help me create their paper portraits.
After delivering the card, I received the following email from her:
"Hi Lisa,
The card is stunning...I know you only offer a representation of people, but it is so much more than that... It is a great complement to the card sent to Savta four years ago.

Many, many thanks once again."
I first met author Miriam Drori at a bloggers event in Jerusalem a couple of years ago, and we have kept in contact since then. She recently travelled to the UK and asked me to make a thank you card for her author friend, Sue Barnard, whose third novel was released recently. In the two photos Miriam sent me of Sue she has her glasses on her head. Miriam thought that maybe I could show her wearing them in the same way on the card. I added a computer in the background with all of Sue's published books on the screen. Papers and pencils lay strewn around her.
Miriam seemed delighted with the card. "I love [the card], especially that screen behind Sue. Brilliant!"
My brother-in-law recently celebrated his birthday and I decided to make him one of my papercut cards. I cut his name by hand from white stock and lined the card with a bright red paper inlay because, like Mister Handmade in Israel, he's heavily in to Arsenal. With a red body and white sleeves, red and white is the main colour way in the team's shirt.
I hope he liked his card.

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

all three are wonderfully done!

Quinn said...

I love the way you use space so effectively, and convey such a depth of information with shape and color. I'm trying to do some sketches to prep for a long-awaited experiment in lino-cutting and printing, and am finding that "reduction" process very VERY challenging!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautiful job as always. I love that paper cut and I'm sure Michael will too. :)

Shareaholic