Wednesday 12 July 2017

Ronit's Album

I made a Bar Mitzvah album for Ronit's brother Ethan last year. This summer it was Ronit's turn to celebrate her Bat Mitzvah (according to Jewish law, when Jewish boys become 13 years old they become accountable for their actions and become a Bar Mitzvah. A girl becomes a Bat Mitzvah at the age of 12). I always send an email out to my customers with a list of questions about their hobbies and interests before I start designing the cover of their album. With Ronit's album I already knew what - or should I say who - was going to be the No.1 choice for the cover! The family have a dog, a Weimaraner called Luna, and I just knew that Ronit would request a picture of her beloved Luna on the cover of her Bat Mitzvah album. I wasn't wrong!
Apart from Luna, Mum told me that Ronit loves listening to music, baking, being on her phone (don't they all?), and arts and crafts. She had chosen a colour scheme of white, silver and lilac for her Bat Mitzvah celebration, and she likes light blue as well, so I made sure to use all those colours on the album cover. Mum asked me to add her name in Hebrew and English, and to include her age, 12, and the words Bat Mitzvah as well. Lastly, the album was to open the English way (Hebrew books open from right to left).
So, I created a papercut illustration of Ronit and Luna together for the cover. Bespectacled Ronit has a cupcake in one hand. To her left are her black and silver headphones and her gold Samsung phone, and below her are some arts and crafts materials (a tube of paint, a paintbrush, paper and pencils), and another cupcake. Ronit is wearing a white T-shirt, the background box is lilac and the lettering silver – all to match the colour scheme. Two Magen David's (Star of David) in the corners of the cover match the colour scheme as well.
As well as decorating the cover of the album, I also embellished five pages inside the book. The first page was of course kept for Luna. I was careful to match the beautiful mouse-grey colour of her fur and added her red collar and silver bone shaped tag. Ronit noticed of course and Mum wrote to tell me how much she loved the collar and the little details. Next I added her headphones and some music notes, followed by a page showing some more cupcakes, along with a wooden spoon and a spatula. A hand (presumably Ronit's!) holding up her phone came next, then finally the last page was devoted to her love of arts and crafts and painting.
Ronit's Mum and Dad collected the album and were soon cooing over the paper illustration of Luna! Later mum messaged me to tell me that Ronit loved them too. "Ronit loves it!! Thank you so much!!!" she wrote.
I was happy to see that my design had also made it onto the place cards at the celebration.  Don't forget, if you are interested in a one-off piece of artwork for your party invitations, thank you cards, place cards and any other printed item required for your celebration, you can check it out and order it here.

11 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Gorgeous! Mazal tov to her!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautifully done Lisa. Luna came out amazing. Just like the photo!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

It's truly amazing to see the wonderful work you do when creating cards and albums.
Are you on Instagram? I have just joined... :)

Chere Mama said...

These are so fun! What a treasured memory she will always have. I love your style - happpy!

VeggieMummy said...

I'm so impressed with all the research that you do before making your gorgeous cards. Love the paper cut dog! xx

Debbie said...

Hi Lisa, your talent never ceases to amaze me! You did an excellent job at recreating Luna and the cupcakes look more like cupcakes than mine ever do. You obviously put a lot of care and attention into your creations and I can see why your customers are so happy!

Thank you for linking up with the #MMBC.

XX

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love all the cut figures - the girl and her dog, cupcakes, etc. Another winner !

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wonderful book for this young lady to keep for a lifetime! Your clients are fortunate!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I love how you pay so much attention to detail! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Anonymous said...

You were the first one this week - yay! Her phone looks so real! I actually have a friend by that name - her English name was Rhonda, and at a certain day she told me I want to be called Rhonit.You can guess,she's Jewish.Very practical you tell what info you need for a card, and give a link here! Many thanks from All Seasons - also heartwarming was your post about your hubby and Johnny!

Sinea said...

She must have loved it!

Shareaholic