Thursday 24 May 2018

Rosh Chodesh

Tamar, the talented photographer and blogger behind Random-osity, contacted me some time ago to discuss a papercut commission for her mum's upcoming milestone birthday. Her mum adores papercuts, Tamar told me. Her Hebrew birthday falls on Rosh Chodesh (the name for the first day of every month in the Hebrew calendar, marked by the birth of a new moon), something she is very proud of. Tamar was wondering if I could create something for her mum, that would connect to Rosh Chodesh and the lunar cycle. Of course I could!
Rosh Chodesh, which means the "head of the month", is especially dear to Jewish women. According to an ancient tradition, the holiday was a reward given to the women of Israel because they refused to surrender their jewellery for the creation of the golden calf (Exodus 32). Because of their righteousness, the women were exonerated from working on Rosh Chodesh. In addition, many women have pointed out that the menstrual cycle is similar to the monthly cycle of the moon. (The English word "menstruation" derives from the Latin word for "monthly.") Furthermore, according to Kabbalistic teachings, women share a special relationship with the moon. For these reasons and more, Rosh Chodesh has long been sacred to Jewish women and some mark it as a woman's holiday and a time for prayer and study.
I created a papercut that loosely depicts the cycle of the moon. I drew a full moon surrounded by smaller crescent and gibbous moons in varying sizes, illustrating the moon moving through its monthly cycle. I added stars and swirls to add a feeling of movement.
"The stunning paper cut arrived today! It’s gorgeous!", Tamar wrote to me when she received it. She later reported back that "Mom LOVED the papercut!"

Sunday Snap

16 comments:

Tamar SB said...

So cool to see the process!! My mom has been traveling but I will be at her place this weekend to get you a finished shot!!

VeggieMummy said...

Love the moons and it was interesting to learn about Rosh Chodesh. xx

betty-NZ said...

I always love to see your work. You take such wonderful care in your creations!

Jim said...

Very pretty.

Miss Val's Creations said...

What a gorgeous celestial design and perfectly executed! Interesting information behind the lunar cycle.

Jayne said...

What a beautiful design Lisa. You must have a real steady hand! It looks amazing :)

Thanks for sharing with #MMBC. Have a lovely weekend. x

handmade by amalia said...

The lunar card is fantastic, Lisa. And I didn't know of the meaning behind Rosh Chodesh, very interesting. So we all should have the first day of every month off? I can do that.
Amalia
xo

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Wow, I think this is my favorite. I love the art of paper cutting and this is quite beautiful

Anne said...

it looks amazing, well done. I love the idea of a women's day, all countries should have one. I guess we have Mother's Day but there should be one for all women. x
#sundaysnap

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I love your interpretation of the holiday. It's heartwarming.

Sum of their Stories said...

That is stunning, I love to papercut but haven't done any for ages. I must get my knife out again !
I host a link up that runs every Sunday eve to Wednesday (UK times) called Handmade Monday, if you ever fancy joining us you would be very welcome. :-)

Richard said...

Very original design.

jesh stg said...

How interesting Lisa, I did not know about this reward given to women bowing down to the golden calf (I didn't even know that these women refused!). An love the bold design! Your posts are always so interesting, much appreciated for All Seasons!
Have a great week:)

NCSue said...

Lisa, all of your cards are lovely creations, but I believe this is my favorite to date. Thanks for sharing it with us at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/05/check-our-catbirds.html

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

This is so perfect! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Jibberjabberuk said...

I've never heard of Rosh Chodesh before and I've just gone away and read up a bit more about it! That is such a lovely papercut and really worth of being on permanent display.

Shareaholic