Wednesday 30 May 2018

Yaacov Agam Museum of Art

Mister Handmade in Israel thinks that it's strange that I like visiting museums on my own. I'm quite a sociable person really, but for several reasons I prefer to go to an art gallery or museum alone. I like to be able to spend as much time there as I wish, without being rushed or feeling that it is time to leave. I love taking photos - lots of them - without anyone thinking I am slightly crazy. And I like the peace and quiet. Shhh! Please don't talk to me whilst I am enjoying a special exhibition.
Having said all that, I had no problem at all going by myself to the new Yaacov Agam Museum of Art in Rishon LeZion on International Museum Day. A friend was going to join me but was running late, so I spent the time in this new museum all alone. I loved it!
Yaacov Agam is an Israeli sculptor and experimental artist best known for his contributions to optical and kinetic art. The son of a rabbi and a kabbalist, he was born Yaacov Gipstein on May 11, 1928 in Rishon LeZion, Palestine (now Israel), and was raised in a family steeped in Jewish spiritual values. Agam trained at the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design in Jerusalem, before moving to Zürich, Switzerland in 1949. In 1951 he moved to Paris, France, where he still lives today. He has enjoyed great public success since his first one-person show in Paris in 1953, and has become one of the most influential artists of modern times. His paintings, which are displayed in famous buildings such as the Elysee Palace, the Pompidou Centre - where 'Salon Agam' is included in the museum's top list of collection masterpieces - and the White House, as well as in metropolitan areas such as New York, Miami, Chicago, Tokyo, Paris and St. Petersburg to name a few, define kinetic art with a signature use of bold colours and shapes. Agam is the highest-selling Israeli artist of all time. In a Sotheby's New York auction in December 2010 his painting 'Growth' was sold for $698,000.
Agam's art, or at least a large collection of it, has now found a permanent home in the place of his birth, at the newly opened Yaacov Agam Museum of Art. Located in Israel's third largest city, the museum - a joint initiative of the Rishon LeZion Municipality and the artist - showcases six decades of Agam's artistic research, and presents some of his most important artworks, coming from prestigious Israeli and worldwide collections and museums.
The entrance to the museum features the work 'Pillars of Clilla', named after the artist's late wife. The work includes 29 monumental columns, 20 at the entrance and 9 inside the building, which make the distinction between indoors and outdoors inconspicuous. The museum’s central space boasts his 'Panoramagam' work, a twenty-two metre long relief painting, originally displayed as part of Agam’s solo exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum in New York City in 1981.
Other exhibits range from transformable sculptures and paintings to relief paintings, interactive digital displays, objects, installations and sound works. His art engages and fascinates all ages and audiences, and spans a breathtaking range of artistic expressions. 
The building itself, designed by architect David Nofar, takes up 3,200 square metres and also includes a gorgeous outdoor sculpture garden.
In the Israeli public sphere, Agam is especially renowned for his 'Fire and Water' fountain at Dizengoff Square in Tel Aviv, which brought colour to Kikar Dizengoff for years until it was taken down for renovations in 2016. He also designed the front of the Dan Hotel on the Tel Aviv Promenade, below, and the exterior design of Ne'eman Towers in north Tel Aviv. His works are regularly exhibited at the Israel Museum and the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, and can be seen at the President's Residence, by the Western Wall plaza in Jerusalem, The Chaim Sheba Medical Center at Tel HaShomer Hospital, Rabin Medical Center and many other places.
Fifi and Hop
California Globetrotter

22 comments:

Camila said...

Oh I'm the same, I love going to museums alone! I hate not knowing if the other person is hating it or if I'm slowing down their experience, etc.

restlessjo said...

I never like the same things as my husband, so alone works well for me too, Lisa. He makes fun of me and is pure distraction.

sara [at] journey of doing said...

I find it to be less pressure to visit museums on my own. I love to be able to sit back and take everything in... and not feel like I'm holding others back. I love all the colors in this museum - and since it's modern art (something I don't understand all that well), I would definitely want to take my time (and take lots of photos, too)!

Anne said...

I used to like going to museums alone. I've sat for hours writing about paintings. But they have usually been classics. I do like modern art though, I find it fascinating. I once went to a exhibition which was made purely of sugar! This artist looks pretty amazing, I can imagine that those installations take on a whole new story when you see them for real, I bet they appear to move when you look at them?
A very interesting artist. I will look out for his work.

VeggieMummy said...

I like to do museums at my own pace too. I love all the colours in this museum, but some of the pieces make my eyes go funny! :0) xx

Claire Justine said...

Looks like a lovely museum. I would love to take a walk around. Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at The Wednesday Link Up. Have a great week and we hope to see you soon.

Lauren said...

What an interesting museum! And so awesome that you got to experience it by yourself .. especially since that's how you like to visit museums :) I love how colorful and intricate these pieces are!

Joanne said...

That looks like such a neat museum! I am pretty sure I'd enjoy going to an art museum by myself too but I always end up taking along my three boys to expose them to some culture.

The Curious Room said...

Great read and fab pics!! I must go and see it. x

Cheryl said...

What an intriguing exhibition. I imagine they come to life as you move around them. #keepingitreal

Tamar SB said...

Oh wow!!! I love Agam's work and remember learning how to make this type of art in school.

Erin Gustafson | Oregon Girl Around the World said...

Oh!!! This looks so wonderful - I love the graphic colors of Agam's art. As we are headed to Israel in July, this might be a perfect respite from the heat which we aren't as used to living in Scandinavia. Definitely saving for later! Thanks so much for sharing with #FarawayFiles, Erin

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Another beautiful post filled with history and art. Sometimes I like to go places alone - like an art museum. Take a slow cruise around. Find a painting or sculpture I love and sit and watch it for a while. Slowly move to another spot with a beautiful view and sit again.

Sarah said...

I also prefer to visit museums on my own... It's nice to make friends when I'm traveling solo but I do feel like I can get more immersed in museums if I visit alone. This looks like an amazing exhibit... I love Agam's style

Snap said...

Wow! Love the wonderful color!

Unknown said...

What bright artworks, and you have showcased them so well :) Some are so busy aren't they. #FarawayFiles

Jayne said...

What a fab exhibition! I love how colourful the artwork is. Lovely selfie by the way ;)

Thanks so much for sharing with #MMBC. Hope you have a nice weekend x

Debbie said...

Hi Lisa, some things are meant to be enjoyed alone. There's nothing worse than feeling rushed and not feeling the pleasure of something we enjoy because we have someone else to think about. I do love the colours and shapes in Yaacov Agam works, it looks like something I would enjoy browsing too.

Thank you for linking up to #keepingitreal.

xx

Obligatory Traveler said...

Wow! This looks like a cool museum. I love all of the colors the artist uses. I agree, I also like to visit museums solo. There is a museum I still need to go back to because we went with someone who done after about an hour and we didn't even get halfway through the museum.

Corey | Fifi + Hop said...

I quite like going to museums on my own as well so can appreciate your longing to. I used to work in the art world and something I do miss though is going around the NYC art galleries with friends. Not sure my kids would put up with a day of that! Thanks for linking up with #farawayfiles

Spectrum Mum said...

I love this exhibition. Filled with beautiful colour. One of these would look amazing in my home, I'd never heard of the artist so thanks for sharing. #keepingitreal

Cynthia | Adventuring Woman said...

Thanks for introducing me to a new artist! I love going to a museum solo, as I like to spend a LONG time looking at things. Good to connect thru #TheWeeklyPostcard!

Shareaholic