Sunday 4 November 2018

Papercutting with Keshet

Remember this card I made for Keshet back in June? Earlier this year I made a couple of customised Bat Mitzvah albums for her mum to give as gifts and Keshet was fascinated by what I do. Mum then asked me to make the card for Keshet's birthday, above, and as an extra treat I made a promise that she could come over and make a card with me one day during the summer holidays.
For various reasons I don't teach art or share my creative processes. I also have two boys who, when they were younger, didn't often want to sit and make things with their mum. (This was one rare occasion when we did sit down and papercut together.) Consequently I had no idea how much patience 8 year old Keshet would have for papercutting. Well let me tell you, she had a lot!
My plan was to make a couple of cards with Keshet. I chose a sweet yet simple design for her first card, above, which she completed quite quickly. After that I thought she might want to draw her own card design but Keshet already had ideas of her own. She wanted to make a door sign for her newly decorated bedroom. Great idea! I was happy to go with the flow.
The first thing to do was to draw out the design. I reminded Keshet to keep the shapes simple and a reasonable size since she was going to be cutting them out of paper. Then, using scissors only and not my scalpel, she carefully cut out her designs, listening attentively to my suggestions along the way.
The rainbow in the centre of Keshet's door sign was an obvious choice (the name Keshet means "rainbow" in Hebrew). She then chose her favourite emoji and a lovely little flower. I showed her how to trace the Hebrew letters of her and her sister's name. "We" had a few little slips when cutting those but, hey, that's how you learn isn't it?
Before I knew it Keshet and I had been drawing, cutting and sticking for 2.5 hours! The time had flown by. I had such fun with my young apprentice and mum reported back that she had loved it too.
Who knows if I will decide to teach papercut art one day? Maybe. All I know is that I now realise that there are youngsters out there who can happily sit and create for hours like me.
It's nice to know.

* This post has been shared on Sweet Inspiration Link Party, All Seasons, Pink Saturday, {nifty thrifty sunday}, The Homemaking Party, Happiness is Homemade, Creative MondayThe Good. The Random. The Fun., Make It Pretty MondayWordless Wednesday (on Tuesday) and The Keeping It Real Link Up.

19 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Oh how wonderful to have a great experience with a youngster. I taught school for several years decades ago and when you find a youngster who is open to learning, it is a joy. Lucky you!

Anne said...

Keshet is one clever little apprentice, and you are a great teacher. I love that you are sharing your talent and yes, you should definitely teach others. If I wasn't thousands of miles away I'd take a lesson from you. x

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Very nice job! I don't have the patience to make a card but I love watching others through the process! Keshet did a great job and her smile shows how she enjoyed it.

Jayne said...

Oh well done Keshet! She did an amazing job of her card and door sign.
You are such a fab teacher with oodles of talent!

Thanks for sharing with #MMBC. x

VeggieMummy said...

She did fantastically well didn't she, and she obviously loved it. Maybe you could do paper cutting parties or a workshop? I'm sure adults would love it too - I'd be there like a shot if I lived nearby. xx

italiafinlandia said...

Keshet was quite clever. She is also very good-looking!

Kim Carberry said...

Aww! What a wonderful thing to do. It looks like she had a fab time. #MMBC

Tamar SB said...

Oh my gosh!! This is adorable!
PS the link is live now - sorry about that!

Miss Val's Creations said...

You are clearly a great teacher Lisa! Keshet did great!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wonderful experience for both of you. Keshet will never forget her day with you!

EricaSta said...

Happy Birthday!

I enjoyed this Post for Image-in-Ing... Thank you for sharing.

Heidrun xxx

Tracy Albiero said...

That is very impressive. So much detail! #keepingitreal

Jo (A Rose Tinted World) said...

This is lovely. I love making cards, and can't wait to do this with my own little one. At the munite though, I am going to cut the pieces and let her stick. Great job! #KeepingItReal

Claire Justine said...

What a lovely handmade card. Handmade ones are so much more special :)

Thanks for sharing at #CreativeMondays, hope to see you tomorrow for our next blog hop :)

juieper said...

How serendipitous! This summer, my 11 year old grand spent a week with this grandparents to do woodwork and art! Every day he finished at least one project! These occasions make you feel good about what you're doing, eh? A pleasurable and noteworthy experience for All Seasons! Many thanks, Jesh

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Handmade cards are great! My niece loves making them with me :)

Jibberjabberuk said...

I think you could try a session with kids during the holidays to see how it goes. You had a very good first student!

Debbie said...

Hi Lisa, Keshet looks very pleased with her creations and so she should be. One day she may well follow in your footsteps and give thanks for the few hours you spent introducing her to the art of paper cutting.

Thank you for linking up with #keepingitreal.


xx

Claire Justine said...

What a lovely card. This would be perfect for my Daughter :) Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays, you are one of my featured blogs today.

Shareaholic