Monday 19 April 2021

Their Parents' Anniversary

A new customer contacted me with a request for a card for her parents who are currently in the UK. They were soon to be celebrating their 46th wedding anniversary and she wanted a card showing the couple on their wedding day. The wedding photo I received was a black and white one but their daughter told me that she thought the flowers in mum's hair were white. Since dad was wearing a dinner suit, we decided it must have been black.
Their daughter was delighted with the end result, as were her parents. She told me that "they were blown away [by the card]".
My customer has her own small business, making sushi, in the city we both live in but was recently kind enough to write an online review of several local small businesses, including my own.
"The card Lisa made for my parent's anniversary was stunning!! I've admired Lisa's work for a couple of years now and I was just waiting for the opportunity to have a special card made for someone. Lisa is EXTREMELY talented - order from her and add magic to any occasion."
Another customer asked me for a card based on her parents wedding photo as well. This time I received a coloured photo of the couple, so I could clearly see that the theme was pink - pink bridesmaids dresses and pink flowers for the bridesmaids and bride.
I showed dad in his black suit and mum with her billowing veil and lucky wedding horseshoe. Apparently the giving of horseshoes to a bride is a long standing tradition. Well before Christian times, a horseshoe was thought to represent a crescent moon and was therefore a very potent fertility charm! However, more recently, in Victorian times the tradition was established as a way of bringing good luck to the newlyweds for the duration of their lives together. The horseshoe has to be hung the right way up, facing upwards in a "U" shape. Hanging it upside down would mean that its powers would fall away.
My customer's parents have been married for 55 years, so I added a pink number 55 to the card, along with some more pink and white flowers.
My customer was delighted with the card and told me that her parents loved it!
* This post has been shared on Inspire Me Monday and Happiness is Homemade.
JENerally Informed

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

Such beautiful cards and somehow you've made them feel timeless. I love that you are able to use photos from the original day. I had a horse shoe at my wedding. It was one of the few nods to tradition we included. Congratulations to the two couple too. #mmbc

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I love your captures of the special day so long ago. Your cards have a timeless beauty. #MMBC

Anne said...

What beautiful cards, perfect to keep forever. I think I'd have mine framed if I'd received one. I love the review you were left, well deserved.

Richard said...

Great cards!

Richard said...

I'm sure the couples enjoyed the cards.

VeggieMummy said...

Hope this is working now. Tried to take a screenshot but this box disappeared, so no help. Have cleared cache and am now able to type in the comments box (couldn't previously!), although it still appears on a separate screen.
Great cards by the way. I especially like the horseshoe! xx

Kim Carberry said...

Aww! What lovely cards. They really are beautiful. Congratulations to the two couples x

Joanne said...

Those are beautiful anniversary cards.

Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) said...

Such beautiful anniversary cards. I do love how they're so well-personalised for the recipient. Interesting to read more about the tradition of giving lucky horseshoes too. #MMBC

Michele Morin said...

Such thoughtful families -- and you do such good work!

Jayne said...

Such a beautiful card to mark such a special occasion. x

Shareaholic