Sunday, 26 July 2026

Esther's Birthday Picture: From Photograph to Wall Art

In 2020, I created a personalised sign for Esther's studio door as a birthday gift from her husband. Recently, he got in touch again to tell me that Esther's 60th birthday was approaching.
He had an idea in mind: a large papercut for their home based on a favourite photograph of the whole family. He asked if he could send me the photo to see whether I could recreate it in paper as a piece of wall art.
A couple of days later, he sent me the family photograph. After studying it, I suggested creating a large piece measuring 40 × 30 cm. That size would allow me to capture far more detail, ensuring that each family member was clearly recognisable. He agreed, and I began working on the piece.
The image above is a mock-up showing how the artwork would look displayed on a wall.
I shared my sketch with Esther's husband, and he seemed genuinely impressed. At the same time, he checked that I was enjoying working on the piece too - and I certainly was!
Unlike my greeting cards, this commission took several days to complete. The finished artwork is something I am really proud of. It is especially satisfying to know that it will be hanging on the wall of their home, where family and friends can enjoy it for, hopefully, many years to come.
"Wow! Amazing!" was the reaction I received when the artwork was collected. Then, on the day of her birthday, Esther sent me the following message:
"Thank you so much for this.
You are incredibly talented.
This is one of my favourite photos, taken on holiday last summer.
It's amazing what you can do with paper.
"
I think it's safe to say that Esther loved it! Knowing that I had transformed a treasured family photograph into a unique piece of artwork, and that it now has a special place in their home, made all the hours spent creating it worthwhile.

* This post has been shared on Mosaic Monday, Monday Morning Blog Club

6 comments:

Gene Bach said...

Pretty danged cool!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am sure I will not be alone, Lisa, in congratulating you on this fabulous work. You set your own bar high and cleared it with ease! I have no doubt this art will become a family heirloom to be passed on through the generations.

Shiju Sugunan said...

This must have been so difficult to pull off! It turned out amazingly well!

eileeninmd said...

Looks cool as wall art! Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

jabblog said...

That is gorgeous and a real heirloom. You are very talented.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I love, love, love the wall art! Very nice.